7.1: train wreck. (tw)

TRIGGER WARNING: ATTEMPTED SUICIDE

inspiration: train wreck by james arthur + lyrics: train wreck by james arthur

- - - - - - - - - -

i'm down on my knees, and i need you to be my god. be my help. be a savior. [...] i'm not ready to die, not yet. pull me out of the train wreck.

"TAYLOR, OPEN THIS DOOR!" Travis screamed from the other side of her front door. He banged on her door, hoping that she would snap out of her mood and come to the door. "TAYLOR!" He rattled the doorknob, hoping MAYBE it was unlocked. Hoping maybe if he wiggled it enough it would miraculously open the door. He pulled his phone out of his pocket and called her number. As the phone rang he continued to bang on the door. "TAYLOR!" Still nothing. He tried to think of a way to get into her home, but all he could think about was her harming herself. 

He and Taylor had been first since they were kids. They met in the first grade. He was the new kid in town, in the middle of the school year. Everyone was already settled into their friendships, even for little kids, but she was one of the only kids who wanted to get to know the new kid the second he walked into the door. From that day forward it was him and her. T-Squared was what some ended up nicknaming them. By middle school they were inseparable. Rumors of them dating flooded the middle school but never did the two date. Always finding love in another, people found it shocking. They were the definition of "boys and girls can be just friends". Never did the two cross the line with each other.  

The two had their fair share of boyfriends and girlfriends over the years. Some were jealous of their friendship. Some wanting them to cut each other off out of jealousy, but nothing could tear them apart. Their bond was unbreakable, and even today, at the ages of 33 and 34, people were surprised that they were just best friends. When asked, neither of them could explain why they never tried to date each other. The arguments of them being perfect for each other came up, but neither ever took it into consideration, and neither of them knew if they ever would. 

Without another thought of how to get into her home, he started to kick at her front door. He didn't care who saw him. He didn't care if anyone called the police on him. He needed to get to her. He needed to make sure she hadn't done the unthinkable. It took three kicks for the door to fly open. "TAYLOR!" He screamed for her, still not getting a reply from her. He ran up the stairs and into her bedroom. When he didn't see her he knew. He knew what her "escape route" would be. She had talked about it too many times in a joking manner as they grew up. Sprinting into the bathroom, he found her. Head underwater, bubbles still slowly rising to the surface. "TAYLOR." He got into the tub, pulling her up. The moment her head emerged from the water, she gasped for air, struggling to breathe. "Dammit, Taylor." He said, pulling her close. 

"I WANNA DIE!" She screamed, breathing heavily. "I WANNA DIE! Let me die." She continued to scream. She wasn't fighting him like she had during a previous attempt. She didn't want to die, he knew she didn't want to die. She wouldn't have given him time to find her if she did. 

"No you don't, Blondie. No, you don't." He whispered, rocking her as she screamed and cried. She held on to him, her grip tightening on the fabric of his shirt as she did so. 

"Why didn't he want me?" She questioned. That wasn't a question that Travis could answer. "What did I do that was so bad?" She cried. Travis couldn't do anything but let her go through her feelings. He rested his chin on the top of her head. She had every right to be upset. Learning that the man that she had been with for ten years had been cheating the majority of that time, and the reason he wasn't attempting to marry her was before he had a family somewhere else. Him being with her was keeping him away from where he wanted to be. He had a total of 3 kids with another woman but was feeding Taylor the lies of not wanting kids at all. 

"You don't deserve this pain." He told her. He whispered reassuring words to her every few minutes as she calmed herself. All he could do was sit there, in the lukewarm water, with her as she processed. As she came down from her heightened emotions. Taylor finally fell silent, Travis looked down at her, seeing her eyes were closed. "Taylor, you can't sleep in this tub, love. Let's get you out of here." He told her. Her eyes opened, and she nodded. 

He started to drain the tub and helped her out of the tub. He helped her peel her soaking wet clothes from her body and helped her into a dry pair of pajamas. He got her into her bed before he removed the wet clothes from his own body. He changed into a pair of sweatpants that Taylor had stolen from him that happened to be in one of her drawers. He took their wet clothes and took them downstairs, throwing them into the laundry room to be dealt with later. Coming back to the front door, he stared at the door. Luckily, his kicks didn't take it off of hinges and it could be fixed with a new door knob. That was a job for tomorrow, however. He got the door closed enough for them to make it through the night until he was able to make it to a hardware store. 

He made sure the door was secure before he went back up the stairs. He knew she would want to be held tonight. He slipped under her covers and pulled her close to him. He felt her hand take hold of his own. She laced their fingers together before speaking, "Thank you for always saving me."

"Anytime, Blondie," Travis replied. "I'd do it a million times over." He kissed the back of her head.  Nothing in this world would keep him from saving her. She meant more to him than just about anything else in the world. He didn't know what he would do without her in his life. "Sleep now, you'd had a hard time." He told her. She just nodded and made herself more comfortable under the covers. 

to be continued (part 2 is called 'i promise')