8.1: is it over now? (m)

As he walked out of the practice facility, he scrolled through his Apple Music and found her new album

As he walked out of the practice facility, he scrolled through his Apple Music and found her new album. He was kind of eager to hear the songs, especially after reading the title. Pratice had gone a bit bad, seeing as his focus was more on Taylor and what she could have possibly put in this song. It was the only thing on his mind. He had several dropped passes and definitely wasn't running routes the way he was supposed to. Once practice was over, he did his usual, ice bath, shower, change into a new set of clothes routine and headed out. Once he reached his car, he got in, started it up, and hit play on the song Kylie mentioned first.  He listened closely, taking in every word she said.

"you dream of my mouth before i called you a lying traitor. you search in every maiden's bed for something greater." 

Those were not the words she said when the situation happened, and he kind of laughed. She was cleaning it up for her album, but she definitely didn't say 'lying'. The second part was a lie. He was never looking for someone better than her, because she was the best. He was looking for distractions. He was looking for someone to take his mind off of her. It never worked.

"baby, was it over when she laid down on your couch? was it over when he unbuttoned my blouse?"

The many love interests they both had on their breaks. The many times they would end things, find someone else, only to end right back with each other. They were toxic. They were unhealthy. They would fight about it over and over again. They would do whatever it took to try to hurt the other when things ended. Was it over? Never. It would never be over. He knew that. He was sure she knew that. He loved her, regardless of how often he said it or showed her. She loved him, which is why she kept allowing him to fade out of her life and come back when he pleased.

"when you lost control. red blood, white snow." 

Their car accident in the middle of the Missouri snow.  He didn't want anyone to get her from the airport but him. She was insistent on flying into the city in one of the worst ice storms the city had seen in a while, and he wanted to be the one to pick her up from the airport. He got to her without much of an issue, but on the way back, the storm got worse, and it ended in them sliding on the ice, and flipping a couple of times. He was thankful that neither of them were too badly injured. A couple of cuts and bruises for her, and a few stitches for him was the best-case scenario. 

i think about jumping off of very tall somethings, just to see you come running and say the one thing i've been wanting, but no. 

Everything about the song felt like she was talking directly to him. As if they were having an argument on the phone. But this line? The line made him pause the song. Made him sit and think. Made him guilty. Made him make his mind up that second about what he needed to do.

***

Travis pulled on his hood before he got out of the car and entered Taylor's apartment building. He gave her security a quick head nod as a greeting and made his way over to the elevator. He had a game this weekend nearby, and being able to sneak away from the team to get to her place in New York was the perfect timing. Was he supposed to be out of the hotel? No. But did he need to do this now? Yes. She had no idea he was coming. They were on the outs. They hadn't spoken to each other in a few months. They were in their "you don't exist to me" stage, regardless of the songs coming out. He got off of the elevator and knocked on her apartment door. It took her almost a minute, but she opened the door, clearly surprised to see him standing there. He stepped into her apartment and closed the door behind him before anyone could see him properly.