The Shy Girl Has a Gun...Chapter 30

“Did you mean what you said in the box?” Jace asks, stroking his fingers up my arm as we both lay on the camp bed.

His arm was around my shoulder and my head was on his chest, my leg draped over his. Turns out, the bed is stronger than it looks because we were both currently led on it and it showed no sign of collapsing just yet.

My index finger traced patterns on his bare chest as I answered his question “I meant everything I said in there.”

“Even the part about you wanting a normal life?”

I tense slightly as my speech in the box flashes back through my head, realising just how much of myself I had exposed by revealing all of that. But I didn’t care anymore, I was fed up of hiding everything away and I knew I was with the one person who I didn’t have to hide with.

“More than anything.” My voice was so low I was surprised that he actually heard it.

He was silent for a while, before I felt his lips brush my hair and kiss the top of my head “Why don’t you then?”

I let out a bitter laugh “Yeah I’ll just hand in my papers and take my two weeks’ notice.”

I couldn’t see his face, but I can guarantee he rolled his eyes at my sarcasm “Why not? When this mission is over with the drug lord, why can’t you just walk away?”

“Believe me if it was that easy, I would I have done it a long time ago.” I inform him “Ed would never let me walk away. Especially not alive.” I add the last part in a mutter.

Again, there was silence around the room but I could basically hear how hard Jace was thinking. His fingers had stopped moving down my arm as he debated on something. Finally, he spoke.

“Run away with me.” I almost choked on air as I heard him say those words.

My eyes bulged as I lifted my head off his chest and looked up at his face, expecting to see him laughing at his own joke, but to my shock he was utterly serious.

I let out a nervous laugh “You’re joking right?”

“No I’m not.” His eyes locked with mine showing me just how serious he was “When this is finished, we can leave. Disappear. You’ve been an agent for a few years I’m sure you know how to make yourself disappear.”

My mouth was still hanging open and I had a sudden urge to laugh, even though this was anything but funny “Jace you don’t seem to realise who you’re dealing with. They will not quit if we go, we would have to run for the rest of our lives. This isn’t some fantasy where we get a little house in the mountains and change our names to Bonnie and Clyde.”

The corner of his lip twitched, before he shook his head in amusement and went back to the conversation “I thought that’s what you wanted? Me, you, a little house somewhere with a few kids running around. You having a go at me for my drunken behaviour and trying not to laugh at my amazing jokes.”

Now it was my turn to try and fight back a smile as he refers to my confession back in the box. He really had heard everything, and if I was anyone else I probably would have blushed.

I shook my head as I got back to reality “It would never work Jace. Believe me, no one has ever walked away from the agency for a reason.” Then, in a cold tone I add “There’s only one way to get out, and that’s in body bag.”

He clenches his jaw, his face turning disgusted at the thought. He raises his hand to brush the hair off my forehead, his thumb tracing my bottom lip slightly “There’s always a first time for everything.”