The Shy Girl Has a Gun...Chapter 9

“So let me get this straight...” Jace began, leaning forward as he was in the backseat while Chris was driving and I was shotgun. “You were recruited into a secret agency of assassins, who faked your death and trained you how to kill people for a living, and now your back in Watford to kill a drug lord, along with his army of drug dealers?” he clarified, sounding like he was talking about what his plans were for the weekend.

I flicked my finger in his direction and clicked my tongue “Bingo.” I leaned further back in the seat, resting my feet up on the dashboard.

Jace was quiet for a few minutes as he was in his own thoughts “That...has to be the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard of in my life.” he finally announced, and I scoffed at his comment.

“If you don’t believe us just replay the scene back at your shop, I think the guns and drug dealers attempting to kill everyone sort of confirms we are not lying.” Chris replied to Jace while keeping his eyes on the road. Jace was basically sat in the front with us as he leaned forward so much he was almost sat on the gear stick. He was not looking at Chris as he spoke, but I could feel his gaze on me.

“I’m not saying you’re lying.” Jace assures “I just don’t understand how you got recruited.” Jace spoke to me, and I turned to glare at him. Due to how much he was leaning forward, his face was a little closer than I estimated.

“Why’s that exactly?” I questioned, his words getting to me. He was back in my life less than a few hours, and he was already getting under my skin.

“Because I’ve known you for years Faith. I remember what you were like, you used to get me to come and kill spiders for you.” Jace states, and Chris lets out a laugh. I grimace at his words, remember just how much of an idiot I used to be. “I just never in a million years would think that if an agency like this did exist, they would have recruited you.”

His words did not come out harsh, but they made me want to rip his throat out.

“And who would you have though they would recruit?” I queried “Maybe someone like Gina? Did you think that only whores with more STD’s than brain cells are capable of becoming assassins?” I snap at him, and I see him recoil a little from my ruthless tone “You say you’ve known me for years, believe me you have no idea who I am or what I am capable of.” I finally conclude, my voice could have probably cut glass it was so sharp.

Jace stares back at me, his face a little stunned by my words but he did not look offended. He had that same look of curiosity he had back at the shop. Chris inhales sharply at my words, and I could just imagine him saying in his head ‘harsh words Faith, harsh words’ in that amused voice of his.

Jace seems to have no response, and I turn my eyes away from him and stare back at the road.

The journey back to the agency was silent after that.

***

Chris and I lead the way in the Agency halls, while Jace follows behind. He’s like a kid at Disney land, looking around in amazement. I’ve had a go at him twice already when he went to touch the displays of antique guns. It was like dealing with an overexcited child.

We made our way to one of the questioning rooms in the building. Chris went to open the door, and I turned to Jace who stopped abruptly just before he walked straight into me.

“Sit and don’t move.” I order, pointing to one of the many chairs in the hallway. He looked like he was about to protest, but I shot him a look that basically said ‘don’t fuck with me right now’ and he quickly followed the order and sat down.