F I F T Y - T W O

Start from the beginning

"They don't love you Sofía, they don't, they've built their own family, they can't wait to kick you to the curb, you have to believe me," she begs.

I ignore her and walk out of the lobby to the stadium. Tears stream from my eyes, not out of sadness, out of anger, I can't believe she had the nerve... I can't believe Hayes had the nerve even after I said I didn't want to meet her. I arrive at the stadium and arrive just in time before the players head out to the tunnel.

"Woah, you okay ?" João asks as he sees my tear stained cheeks.

I ignore him and run to my dad and hug him, I sob.

"Sof, what's the matter ?" He asks.

I don't reply, I cling on to him for dear life. I hear Roberto call out the team and release my dad. I breathe in wipe my tears and breathe out collecting myself.

"That's the scariest shit I've ever seen," Dias says and João hits him. "What, it doesn't concern you that she can be crying her eyes out one second and then act like nothing happened ?"

"I'm more concerned with the fact they my girlfriend barely showed up on time, and came in crying," João says hugging me. "You okay ?"

I nod, "tell you about it later."

I walk out with the Portugal team and wait to be introduced to begin singing the national anthem. As they call my name, I begin to sing the National anthem. We wait for the French anthem and then the game begins.

9:00PM F R A N C E V S P O R T U G A L

I make small conversation with Gonçalo as the game begins and we're both calling it. It's not long before we're cheering Portugal's first goal of the match. Rafael Leão puts us in the lead in the 5th minute. I blow a subtle kiss to João as they finish their celebration seeing as how João was the one to assist.

In the 10th minute, Mbappé almost made it, but Pepe was right there to disrupt the play. France now have a corner kick. The corner leads no where because Ruben deflects the ball and send it to the middle of the field where Ruben Neves is waiting.

"This is intense and it just started," I sigh.

"You okay ?" Gonçalo asks "you were crying earlier."

"Yeah, I was just really angry, had to let it out, but I'm fine," I give him a reassuring smile.

"You sure ?" He asks genuinely concerned.

"Mhm," I hum, "fine."

"That was so close," Antonio says on the other side of me as Giroud from France sends a ball directly onto the post.

Tchouaméni and Mbappé are working on a beautiful play in the 36th minute, but cancelo stops them with a nice clean tackle.

"So close, baby," I shout as João hits the post.

João rolls his eyes and shakes his head, clearly not annoyed with me, but with the fact that he failed to score. In the 54th minute, Portugal lands another free kick, but it's from a too far distance to do any damage to the score. Halftime is called in the 58th minute and we head into the locker room for the break.

"Stop beating yourself up, okay, you're doing great," I tell João.

"I'm off my game," he sighs.

"Because you haven't scored ?" I ask, "you still have 45 minutes left, and even then, you assisted the first goal and you're playing really good."

"Give me your skills," he said and I laughed.

"Please, you're better than me," I said.

"You were trained by the greatest player of all time and the men that trained him, I think you're far better than me," he laughs.