100. The duo

"Ab called me Ro and Virat heard it. Oh no, how can it get worse and a little warm at the same time. Ab calling me Ro, I never expected that" Rohit was outside Virat's room and thinking what exactly happened.

"Hey Rohit, is Biscuit okay?" asked Ab coming near him.

Rohit looked at him and thought how to tell him that his biscuit is a jealous annoyed monkey right now.

"Rohit, Ro" Ab called him shaking his shoulder.

"Did u call me Ro?" Rohit asked him coming out his thoughts.

Ab was confused, "ya I guess, is there any problem?", he asked, "u don't like it! Sorry I should have thought about it" he continued seeing Rohit's unreadable face.

Before Rohit could say something the door of the room opened. Ash was coming outside but it was Virat who saw Ab and Ro together. Rohit cursed at the timing of Ash as he saw Virat turning his face and burying it in Mahi's lap.

Ash just chuckled and mumbled, "sorry", went from there.

"Ab wait", Rohit said as he saw Ab leaving with a little sad expression.

"Rohit, its fine I should have controlled, I--"

"Ab stop! Stop ranting like ur biscuit"

Ab stopped listening to that. Rohit took him to the cafe in the hotel space.

Once they were seated, Rohit looked at Ab who was genuinely upset. He wanted to talk to him and assure him somehow. He knew it was the time he had to be there.

He took a deep breath and began, "Ab, It felt very warm when u called me Ro. The first time I didn't even realise it. But now, it was nice to know that we shared the same level of comfort. In this whole period which we have gone through, I wouldn't imagine I was ever gonna say this but you were my constant. And I appreciate it, I really do", he said softly.

"You were there when I needed someone every single time, whether be it a shoulder of comfort or be it someone who made me understand my emotions. There were times I wanted to be there for you but as they say it's difficult to be for someone who is constantly there for others as we take it for granted, 'He is gonna be fine', something like that"

"But you sharing how everything piled up on you and why you left, followed by calling me Ro gives me assurance that I didn't fail to be there for you. Not at same level as you but at some level I could help. But there is one problem"

Rohit said, he waited for Ab to ask what is it but he noticed moist eyes of him.

"U are crying?"

"No am not" Ab said hiding his tears.

Rohit didn't push it, "What is the problem", Ab asked.

"The problem is as much as I liked u calling me, U can't"

"Why?"

"Because I have a very very jealous person in my life and mind you when I say 'very' I mean more than my wife" Rohit said and Ab chuckled so hard which even got Rohit to laugh.

And just like that, the circumstances, the emotions, the understanding and most importantly a common purpose developed a friendship for life.

__________

"Finally, sleeping beauty awakes! How much do you sleep? U giving tough competition to Rohit"

"Shut up Ash, I was tired" Virat said rolling his eyes and getting up to sit properly. He looked around saw Mahi bhai was not there but Ash was, so he was okay.

"U get tired? I thought some machine is fit inside you which never switches off"

"What do u mean? Say in normal language na, Abhi Utha hu-- my brain is not so active like you"

"Oh it exists, so glad to know"

"Ash yaar!" said Virat being annoyed.

"What Ash? If u were not feeling well, couldn't u just take rest or tell anyone of us so that we would have make sure that--"

"I dont play and I didnt want that"

"U idiot, I get it - you didn't want to miss out on the game. But if you'd just let us know, we could've paid more attention to you and taken better care of you. I don't understand how you can be a dad to a daughter when you're still such an irresponsible child in an adult body"

"U are scolding me Ash!" Virat mumbled looking down.

Ash sighed and sat infront of him, he knew Virat was still recovering from his emotional state.

"We were worried for you Virat, I-- I was worried for you, seeing you coughing like that. You could have just told me", Ash said softly which made Virat look at him.

"I am sorry, I just didn't want to worry everyone or you. It's just that--"

"It's just what Virat?"

"It's just you all have been doing so much for me, for this one time I wanted to just make you all happy by playing at my best"

"I understand" Ash said and Virat just stared at him for a sec.

Ash got a little conscious of his gaze, "What happened?"

"You know, I know you don't like praising from us like the emotional stuff so just hear me out once"

Ash nodded affirmatively not knowing what it was.

"Throughout all of this, those two words from you-- 'I understand' have been my greatest strength to get through that time, get myself out of the phase where I just wanted it all to end. I don't know if I could have gotten over it, maybe I could have, but I knew it wouldn't have been enough, I wouldn't be me anymore. So Ash, thanks for making me me again.

Virat said holding his hand and had a teary smile on his face.

Listening to that, Ash was just so overwhelmed that he himself had moist eyes.

Ash hugged him, "I am always gonna be there Virat", he said.

"Oh I know, you can't get rid of me easily, who will laugh at my trolls other than you. Who will curse and praise me in same sentence", Virat said making the mood lighter.

Ash grinned at that.

And just like that, the circumstances, the emotions, the understanding and most importantly a common purpose evolved a friendship for life.

_______