96. Not you

It was third bgt match in Indore now. They were 2-0 and had the upper hand but it was not enough as they were aiming to win every single match. It was important for them as a team going into Wtc. And for everyone out there watching them.

Virat didn't know but he was little nervous than before. He was not like this ever, he was always confident in his abilities. But seeing the questions of media yesterday he could not help himself feeling anxious. He saw how Rohit had to defend him, he was happy that Rohit was taking stand for him but it also made him realise how if he had played well this would not be the case.

"Vi chal! Breakfast karna hai" Rohit said calling him as he was thinking all this.

These thoughts are so uncontrollable sometimes, he sighed at that and went in the dining room.

____

Once the match started, his nerves began to settle as Rohit was playing good. Seeing him playing in his full flow always calmed him down.

But it didn't last as Rohit got out early in 12 runs.

"Pitch is broke, Bahot jyada uneven hai! Delhi se bhi jyada!" Rohit informed Virat as Pujara had gone to bat. He hopes atleast Pujara builds a partnership with Gill but it was not the case as he got out on 1.

Virat took a deep breath and went on the field.

It was the first time of the three tests Mahi was observing Virat closely than ever.

Virat played 2-3 balls and calmed himself down. He was trying his best. But it was not helping as at other side Shubman, Shreyas and Jadeja got out back to back. With only Shubman scoring some 21 runs. On the other hand Jadeja scored 4 and Iyer was out on duck.

Virat was trying his best to build the partnership but as his fate was, there was an unplayable delivery by Murphy. It turned more than any ball in that particular day. He got out on 22.

Not to be like any expert on Twitter but the team management thought that Virat looked most comfortable playing 52 balls scoring 22 runs. He had to grind for runs which no one did today.

As okay he was in the first innings, the second innings turned out to be worst. He scored on 13 runs.

He went into dressing room burying his head in his hands feeling miserable about it. Everyone thought to give him little space so that he could calm himself down.

But it turned out to be going worse as India lost the match. They were discussing that in team room.

"Virat, Rohit u guys wait. Rahul bhai aap Baki sabko leke aage jao" Mahi said to which everyone agreed.

"What happened bhai?" Rohit asked once everyone was gone.

"Virat! Sit" Mahi said sternly.

Virat sat down hearing that tone. He looked at Mahi and there was unreadable expression on his face. Even Rohit couldn't understand what it was.

"Virat! What are you doing? Is this how a player of your stature plays? Ha? Tell me? When u know that we are 5 down that means we have lost our half side, you could have played more cautiously. Right?" said Mahi very sternly opposite to his nature.

Virat was shocked by that then just looked down controlling his tears.

"Bhai yeh aap kya.." Rohit began seeing Virat's shoulder shaking due to sobbing but was cut off when Mahi glared him a little.

"Do you realise what you are doing and how you are playing? U are making a fool out of yourself. The Virat I know would have never got out in similar fashion for 2-3 times. Where is your improvement? U wanna let the team down? Tell me? Is se toh acha hota someone else would have replaced you and gotten chance as you are clearly wasting one. This is not you, this is clearly not you!" Mahi said angrily and left from there.

Virat looked up when he said 'someone else' but all he could see anger on Mahi's face. He felt like a failure when Mahi left the room.

Rohit was shocked himself with that but he decided to pay attention to Virat at the moment who looked so vulnerable at that moment. His whole body shaking with sobs.

Rohit sat beside him and put his arm around Virat's shoulder pulling him into a hug.

"I.. never.. wanted.. to let the.. team down" said Virat sobbing hard, feeling extremely guilty about it.

"I know Vi I know, I don't agree with everything bhai said but I kind of agree with one thing" Rohit said softly breaking the hug.

"What is it?" Asked Virat with moist eyes.

"That Virat we know would always improve the next game but it is missing now. The improvement and better version every single match is what defined you. Remember how Rahul bhai rated and still rates you highly because of that. He literally  narrated 15 mins about that in an interview. You are an example of continuous improvement and being better version of yourself every single day" said Rohit making him understand.

Virat listened it carefully.

"He is so angry Ro. He left me! You will not Na?" He asked after 5 mins of silence.

"Nahi I will not leave you and bhai didn't leave you. He is just helping you. You know him, don't you?" Rohit said giving him glass of water.

Virat just nodded at that. He was upset with Mahi but also was determined to prove him wrong now.

"Let's go" Rohit said and they left for the hotel.

"Don't leave me alone Ro" Virat said as he saw Rohit was going somewhere to which Rohit replied immediately, "just checking on mahi bhai once"

Virat nodded at that.

_____