Chapter 85

I woke up and sat up in the bed. I looked towards the window before looking down. Rick was still asleep and he looked peaceful. Like he has no worry in the world. He deserves peace for everything he's done and been through. I slowly and quietly got out of bed and went into the bathroom.

I glanced in the mirror before stripping out of my clothes and got in the shower. I turned the water on and waited until it got warm. I started to wash myself when the bathroom door opened and closed. The shower door was then opened and Rick stepped into the shower with me.

"Did I wake you?" I asked, turning around to face him.

"No." He said, wrapping his arms around my waist.

I wrapped my arms around his neck and he leaned forward until our lips connected. His tongue slid into my mouth and he pulled me against him. Before we could get any further, we heard a knock on our apartment door.

"Damn." Rick said.

"Maybe another time." I said, stepping out of the shower after turning the water off.

We got dressed and went to the door. I opened it to find Nathan and Helena.

"You two have to come see this." Nathan said.

We followed them until we got to the river. People were gathered but we managed to get closer to the river to see what was happening. Someone was holding a little girl and yelling.

"This little girl was planning to overthrow the leader!" The man holding the little girl said. "She has been sentenced to death by drowning!" He said, before throwing the little girl into the water.

She started splashing around and struggling to stay above water. I couldn't watch it so I ran and jumped into the water. I dived in and swam to her and grabbed her. I swam back to the shore and held onto her. She wrapped her arms around my neck and I picked her up.

"What the hell is wrong with all of you?!" I asked, loudly.

"She planned to kill our leader! She needs to die!" Someone shouted.

"She's just a little girl! She didn't mean any harm! And do you have any evidence that she's the one who wrote it?!" I shouted. "Can you write sweetheart? You can tell me the truth." I asked the little girl.

"N-No." The little girl answered, before burying her face in my neck.

"She can't even write! So how is she supposed to plan to kill your leader?!" I shouted.

"We heard her talking about it!" Someone shouted.

"All because someone talks about it, doesn't mean they're going to do it!" I shouted.

I walked over to Rick and we walked away with Nathan and Helena following us. We walked to mine and Rick's place and I put the little down on the sofa.

"What's your name sweetheart?" I asked, smoothly.

"Natalie." She answered.

"Were you talking about killing someone Natalie?" I asked.

"No." She said.

"How can someone kill a child like that?" Helena asked.

"I don't know but what I do know is we have to leave this place. It's not safe." Rick said.

"I agree with Rick. We need to get the hell out of here before things really hit the fan." Nathan said. "We take the little girl with us." He added.

"Is that alright with you Natalie? Do you want to leave with us? We have a community where there's other kids you can play with. You can play mine and Rick's kids." I said. "Would you like that?" I asked.

"Okay." Natalie said, slowly nodding her head.

"We leave immediately but I don't think they'll let us leave that easily. Not after us saving Natalie." Rick said.

"Then how are we supposed to leave?" Helena asked.

"We blow the place to attract walkers. Hopefully a herd of them." Rick said.

"What if we get caught in that?" Nathan asked.

"We'll escape through the sewers. On the way back, I saw an entrance to the sewers." Rick told us.

"When do we try to escape?" I asked. "We don't even have anything to cause an explosion." I said.

"We might have something. If these stoves work and use gas, we could set a timer of some sort to give us time to get to the sewer entrance. But we have to pick the one closer to the gate to blow it open." Rick said.

"How are we supposed to do that without them seeing us?" Helena asked.

"I would do it but I can't since I'm not fully recovered from surgery." I said.

"I wouldn't let you do something this dangerous Sydney." Rick said.

"If I had to, I would." I said. "I can't let you keep putting your life on the line Rick. I just got you back, I don't want to lose you again." I said.

"I know and you won't." He said.

"How can you be so sure? You don't know what's going to happen. You could get killed. You saw how far they'll go." I said. "They won't show any mercy no matter if you're an adult or a child." I said.

"I'll do it." Nathan said. "I'm fast and quiet. They won't know I'm there." He said.

"Are you sure? It's very risky." Rick said.

"Yeah. I know the risks of doing what I'm going to do but if it's to get us all out of here, I'll do it." Nathan said.

He went to be alone with Helena and so me and Rick were with Natalie.

"I miss my mom and dad." Natalie said.

"Where are they?" I asked.

"The leader killed them. Said they were traitors." She said. "They said the same about me and I wouldn't planning on doing anything. I'm too scared to kill anyone." She said.

"When we get out of here, we'll head to the community that me and Rick came from. And you can be part of our family and you'll have a lot of fun with the kids there." I said.

"Really?" She asked, looking at me.

"Yeah, of course." Rick said, putting his hand on her shoulder.

"Thank you." She said, smiling at us.

Nathan and Helena came back and we started discussing our plan.