Chapter 58

Ricks POV:

We just got back to Alexandria and before I could warn them, the Saviors arrived. We took all the bombs that was on the highway and we hid them, the same with the car.

Their trucks came to a stop and we saw Simon walking towards us.

"Hello, Rick." Simon said, stopping in front of me. "And hello again." He said, looking at Carl.

"We thought it'd be longer." I said.

"Do you think we're here for a tribute?" Simon asked.

"Is there another reason?" I asked.

"There is. We're looking for Daryl and Sydney." He said.

"Negan has Daryl and Sydney." I said.

"But then your son showed up, Daryl and Sydney went missing...might those two be connected?" He said.

"They're not." I said. "We didn't know they were gone until now." I said.

"Then this should be easy. Now, everyone find a buddy. Gonna have to follow us around. If they're here, you're going to have to watch them die." He said.

After a little while, we were at the food storage. I opened the door and saw all our food gone.

"Wow, these are some bare shelving units. You guys have a barbecue or something and didn't invite us? Seriously this is sad. I hope you're not hiding anything from us cause that generally doesn't go over very well." Simon said.

"We have a lot of people. It's getting harder to find stuff and our focus lately has been finding things that Negan might want." Aaron said. "We're still adjusting to the new system." He said.

"We were gonna scavenge more today. If you just wait, we'll bring something back." I said.

"Relax. I'm not here for a pickup. And it's a good thing. But that day is coming, so you best do whatever you need to. Dig deep. Go the extra mile. Take some risks!" Simon said.

"We will." I said.

"We will appreciate that." He said.

We walked him back to his vehicle and stopped next to the truck.

"Thank you for your cooperation, Rick. My apologies for leaving the place a bit of a mess but we got a litany of other shit to attend to. So do you I guess." He said, getting in the truck. "Oh! And if Daryl and Sydney does turn up here two days from now, two months from now...hell, two years from now, just know there's not statute of limitations. Keep that hatchet handy. You're gonna need it if they turn up with you people. And it won't turn out the way it did with your boy." He said, then they left.

Once they were out of sight, I turned to the others.

"What happened to the pantry?" I asked.

"We don't know." Aaron said.

"We need to talk about Gabriel." Tobin said.

"Where is he?" I asked.

"He was on watch the night you all went out to scavenge. I was supposed to take over for him in the morning. He wasn't at his post. Pantry was cleared out and a car was gone." Tobin said.

"No one's seen him since." Eric said.

"That son of a bitch. He stole our shit and ran." Rosita said.

"That's what it looks like." Tobin said.

"Well, I don't believe it." Michonne said.

"That's not Gabriel. You won't do that to us." I said.

"I thought he changed too but it can't be anything else." Rosita said.