Chapter 20

We soon got to a farm and I quickly got off. An old man came out and came towards me.

"Are you Sydney?" He asked.

"Yeah I am." I said.

"Rick said you were a surgeon before, is that true?" He said.

"Yes I was." I said.

"Come on." He said. "I'm Hershel by the way." He said.

We went into the room and I saw Carl laying in a bed.

"He has fragments in his body. I removed one but I can't remove the rest without him being asleep. But since you were a surgeon, I think it's best if you remove the rest." He said. "What kind of surgeon were you?" He asked.

"I was neurosurgeon." I said.

I was now in the room with Carl. Rick was giving him blood and soon he gave a pint of his blood.

"Rick, go get some orange juice." I said.

"I need to stay with him." He said.

"You need to get your strength back from giving a pint of blood." I said.

He nodded his head then walked to the kitchen so Maggie can give him orange juice. Shane then came into the room.

"Is there anything you need Sydney?" Shane asked.

"If I had a respirator, I'll be able to remove the fragments that Hershel wasn't able to remove and to stitch the source of the bleeding." I said. "I'm scared Shane." I said, a tear falling down my cheek.

He walked over and pulled me into a hug. I put my head against his shoulder and he rubbed my back.

"I know you are Sydney. I am too but he'll pull through this, you know he will." He said. "I'll go get what you need, okay? I have to find out where one is." He said.

"Okay. Please be careful Shane." I said.

"I will." He said, pulling away.

He then walked out and I saw him and Otis leave. Rick came back in the room and walked over. He pulled me closer to him and we stayed like that for awhile. I was hoping Shane and Otis will get back with what I needed. I was crying into Rick's shirt even though it's covered in blood which meant I was getting blood on my shirt but I didn't care. We heard vehicles pulling in and we pulled away.

I walked outside and saw the truck. Glenn and T-Dog got out of the truck and T-Dog looked a bit pale.

"T-Dog, come in here and I'll fix your arm up." I said. "Maggie, can you get the supplies I need so I can fix his arm?" I asked.

She nodded and we went inside. Me and T-Dog walked in the kitchen and he sat down. I started cutting the thing wrapped around his arm. It was getting worse that it already was. It was infected and swollen. Maggie then came into the room and put the stuff I needed on the table.

"This is going to hurt like hell." I said.

"Go ahead. I can handle the pain." He said.

"Here, put my bandana in your mouth so you have something besides your tongue to bite down on." I said, taking my bandana off my neck.

He put it in his mouth and I started disinfecting the wound before starting to stitch the wound shut. The wound was soon stitched and I disinfected it again to be safe before wrapping a bandage around his arm then put it in a sling.

"All done." I said. "I know you won't since you have the sling on but don't try to lift anything with that arm." I added.

"Okay thank you. Can you do anything for the pain?" He said.

"Where's the bottle that Daryl gave you?" I asked.

"Glenn has it." He said.

"Maggie, can you get the bottle of medicine from Glenn?" I asked.

"Of course." She said, leaving the room.

A few minutes later, she returned with the bottle. I took one pill out of it and gave it to T-Dog with a glass of water.

I then walked out and went back to Carls room and checked on him. I checked is blood pressure and his pulse. His pressure is going down. Hopefully Shane and Otis gets back with a respirator soon or else we'll lose Carl.