Chapter 21

Shane soon got back but without Otis. Hershel said not to tell Patricia because I'll need to focus on the surgery.

We got Carl hooked up to the respirator and he was soon asleep. Hershel was going to help me by giving me the things I say I need.

"Scalpel." I said, sticking my hand out.

He put the scalpel in my hand and I cut the wound open and I saw three fragments. He handed me the long tweezers and I removed the fragments I saw and put them on a tray. The fragments were soon out of his body and now I had to stitch the part where the blood was coming from. It was soon stitched and I begin stitching the wound closed. All this took a few hours to do since I had to be careful.

"Can you bandage him for me Hershel? I have to tell Rick that he made it through." I said.

"I will." He said.

I walked out of the room and went outside. I saw Rick sitting on the step, next to Shane. They heard the door opened and they turned and saw me. They also saw a lot of blood on my shirt. They didn't say anything just waited for me to talk.

"I removed the fragments and closed the part that was bleeding. Hershel is inside bandaging him up at the moment. But he'll be okay." I said. "You got back just in time with the respirator and everything else I needed Shane." I said.

"Can I see him?" Rick asked.

"Yeah you can. They should be moving him to the bed by now." I said.

Rick went inside and I sat on the step and Shane did the same thing.

"You saved him Sydney." Shane said.

"You're the one that brought the supplies I needed. If you didn't..." I said, looking down.

"Don't think that way Sydney. What matters is that you saved him." He said.

"I know." I said.

It soon turned light and I was sitting outside again since Carl isn't awake. I saw the other vehicles pulling in and come to a stop. Dale got out of the RV and walked towards me.

"How's Carl?" Dale asked.

"I got bullet fragments out of his body and all we can do now is wait for him to wake up." I said. "Which I'm hoping is soon." I said.

"He'll wake up. He's a strong boy." He said, walking back to his RV.

I looked up and saw Daryl looking over here. I still feel like I've seen him before but I can't place it. He then walked over and sat next to me.

"Can I ask you something?" He asked.

"Yeah you can." I said, still looking ahead of me.

"Did you go to this neighborhood for a motorcycle accident? I heard the doctor there say his brain was exposed." He said.

"I did go to one. Were you the one with the crossbow?" I asked.

"Yeah." He said.

"I knew I recognized you but couldn't quite remember where I saw you." I said.

"How was the man after you did what you had to?" He asked.

"He had to stay in the hospital for four or five months because the part of his brain that was exposed was vital but he died before two months." I said. "His family got mad at me because he died. I did all I could to help him, I even told them that he had a 50/50 chance." I said.

"They should've known you did all you could. They should've understood that there was only so much you can do." He said.

"Sometimes they don't think about that because they're upset they lost someone that they love." I said.

Lori then brought Emma over and handed her to me. Emma showed her little smile then yawned. Daryl was looking at her with a smile on his face. I've never seen Daryl smile before.

"You want to hold her Daryl?" I asked.

"Yeah." He said.

I handed her to him and she already warmed up to him. I smiled seeing him hold her. I feel like he's going to steal her away from me. She then started to cry so he handed her back to me. I went inside and went to the kitchen and put her under my shirt, of course after I moved my bra out of the way, and she attached herself to me immediately.