Chapter 56

We were in a car heading to a place called The Kingdom. I was seated between Jesus and Rick in the front seat. The car came to a stop and we got out.

"It's called The Kingdom?" Rick asked.

"Yeah. I didn't name it." Jesus said.

"How much farther?" I asked.

"Well, technically, we're already here. I mean, we're always here but here we are—at the Kingdom." Jesus said. "The outer edge." He added.

"What the hell are we waiting on?" Daryl asked, sticking his head out.

"Waiting for them." Jesus said, pointing at two people coming towards us on horses.

"Who dares to trespass on the sovereign land of the...oh shit, is that you Jesus?" One of the men said.

"Who are all these people Paul?" The other man asked.

"Nice to see you." Jesus said.

"Nice to see you too." The serious man said. "Your friends, who are they?" He asked.

"This is Rick Grimes. He's the leader of a like-minded community. These are some of his people. We would like to request an audience with King Ezekiel." Jesus said.

"Get out of the car." The serious man said, looking at the car. "You say they're a like-minded community. Like-minded how?" He asked.

"We live, we trade, we fight the dead. Sometimes others." Jesus said.

"Okay, line up." The serious man said.

"This is a waste of time. Come on, let's go." Daryl said.

"Maybe you're right. The King's a busy man. And it's a dangerous world. We don't usually allow a pack of strangers to waltz through our door." The guy said.

"We want to make the world less dangerous and we are all here to show the King how serious we are about that." Jesus said.

"The car stays outside. And you got to hand over your guns." The man said.

"We only have two." Rick said.

"Okay. Follow me." The man said.

We were now following the guy to the Kingdom. I was walking beside Rick and he grabbed my hand and held onto it like something is going to happen to me.

"Did he do anything to you while you were there?" Rick asked me.

"No. Just kept me fed and made sure I was alright. Even though he either called me doll or darling a lot. But if I wanted to be called those names, I want them to come from your mouth. Not his." I said.

"I love you Sydney." He said.

"I love you too Rick." I said, smiling.

We walked through a gate and stopped, admiring the place.

"They have the numbers." I said, after seeing all the people here.

"But can they fight?" Rosita asked.

"Oh, they can fight." Jesus said.

"Maybe." Daryl said.

"Morgan?" Tara said.

I followed her sight and saw Morgan.

"Hi Morgan, I missed you." I said, hugging him and he hugged back.

"I missed you too Sydney." Morgan said.

"How do you know each other?" Richard asked.

"We go back to the start." Rick said.