Chapter 44

I was walking to the bedroom and I saw Rick laying on the bed. It looked like he was lost in thought.

"Are you okay Rick?" I asked, sitting next to him.

"Do you think I did the right thing? Killing Pete?" He asked.

"I think you did. He killed Reg and he would've killed you or someone else too. He was a danger to us and if he didn't kill us, he would get us killed." I said. "You did the right thing Rick. Me and the others know that. Deanna knows you did, at least I think she does." I said, looking at him.

"But I didn't do it in time. Reg already died. I wish I did it before that happened." He said.

"You had no way to know that was going to happen. Pete was reckless. Everyone knew that when they saw how he was acting. He wanted to kill you. I saw that look in his eyes. Hell if you didn't kill him, I would've." I said.

"I know you would've. You protect your family." He said.

"The same as you." I said. "Everyone we traveled with and been with since almost the beginning, they're our family. And we're family to them." I said.

It was now daytime and Rick was going to head out with a few others. I was holding Judith while Carl was holding Emma.

"Be safe Rick." I said.

"I will." He said, pecking my lips then kissed the top of Judith's head.

Judith and Emma was taking their nap and Carol was in the with them as well as Carl. I was outside the walls with Maggie and Deanna. We heard screaming coming from inside.

"What's going on Richard?!" Deanna shouted, before a fire bottle hit him and caught him on fire.

Me and Maggie pulled our guns out and we ran to try to get inside.

"Mom!" Spencer shouted.

"Oh thank god Spencer." Deanna said.

"We need to get inside." Maggie said.

"Not me. I don't know how to fight. I'll only be another person for you to save. Your best chance is if I stay out here." Deanna said.

"Okay." I said.

Me and Maggie ran inside and I shot one of the intruders. I saw Aaron and Rosita carry Holly inside a building.

"Sydney, go help Holly! I'll be okay!" Maggie said.

"You sure?" I asked.

"Yeah. Now go!" She shouted then ran.

I ran to the house that Holly was taken into and went into the room where she was.

"Let me look her." I said.

"I got this. I'm a doctor." Denise said.

"Denise, she was before all of this. She was neurosurgeon." Tara told her.

"You were?" She asked.

"Yes. Now enough talk, I have to try to save her." I said.

I then started my work and when I finished she was still bleeding.

"What's wrong with her?" Tara asked.

"She's bleeding internally. The abdominal aorta must've gotten punctured." I said. "I need a stent and a knife. I have to try to fix the artery." I said.

A half hour later, I stopped the surgery.

"Why did you stop?" Tara asked.

"There's no fixing the artery." I said.

"Why not?!" Tara exclaimed.

"It's too far gone. She bled too much. Even if I managed to fix it, she would still die since she lost too much blood. Believe me I tried but there's no fixing it." I said. "The only thing we can do now is say our last goodbyes." I added.

"You're just going to give up?!" She shouted.

"I didn't give up! Her blood pressure's too far down from losing all that blood! And we don't have the blood to give her!" I shouted back. "Just say your goodbyes while you still have the chance because she won't live much longer." I said, when Aaron walked inside.

"Did she make it?" Aaron asked.

"She's not going to make it. The artery is too far gone for repair." I told him. "I tried everything I could with the supplies I had. If you want to say your goodbyes, now's the time to do it." I said.

I walked outside and saw that it was peaceful again and that group was gone. I went to the house and saw Carl in there.

"It's safe now. Are you both okay?" I asked.

"Yeah we're okay." Carl said. "Are you okay? You have blood all over you." He said.

"Holly got attacked by one of them and I was trying to save her. But her artery was too far gone so everyone is saying their goodbyes." I said.

I was outside helping with the bodies when I heard Rick yelling outside. Me and Michonne opened the gate and saw Rick running with a huge herd of walkers behind him. He made it inside and we quickly shut the gate. He stood up and I hugged him, thankful he made it back.

"Let's go get you fixed up Rick." I said.

We went back to the house and I fixed up his wounds. We walked back to the gate to the others. He told us everything and that we have to be quiet since the walkers are right outside the walls.