Chapter 39

We've been walking for six months and we didn't have anymore water or food. We were all hungry and dehydrated. Rick was carrying Emma while Carl was carrying Judith. My legs began to feel weak and I collapsed to the ground.

"Sydney!" Rick exclaimed.

"I'm fine." I said.

"Carol, can you carry Emma?" Rick asked.

"Yeah of course." Carol said, getting Emma from Rick.

Rick then picked me up and had me on his back. My arms were around his neck loosely and he began to walk. After a little while, I was walking on my own. It started to rain and some of us was looking up with our mouths open.

I was just looking in front of me with my sister on my mind. I thought I saw her but I knew it was an hallucination. Ever since Beth's death, my sister was appearing in random places.

"Are you okay Sydney?" Rick asked.

"I'm fine." I said, not even looking at him.

We started filling things up until we heard thunder. We followed Daryl to a barn he found and we went inside after it was clear. I went in the room that one walker was in and sat down on a chair that was in the room. I looked out the window when someone walked in. I didn't look to see who it was.

"Is everything okay?" Rick asked.

"I don't know. I've been seeing Lori again, Rick." I said. "I thought I let her go but since Beth died, she came back." I said, looking at him. "I'm even remembering my parents and how they'll never be able to see their granddaughters." I said.

He didn't say anything just hugged me tightly. I cried into his shoulder. After I calmed down, we joined the others. I laid down next to Rick and we fell asleep.

I was woken up by something trying to get in. I saw Daryl run to the door and hold it shut. I ran and joined him with others doing the same. After a few hours, the storm stopped and it was morning. Maggie and Sasha walked outside and I was playing with Emma by making funny faces at her.

"Hey. Everyone. This is Aaron, we met him outside. He's by himself and we took his gear and gun." Maggie said.

"Hi." Aaron said. "It's nice to meet you." He said.

"You said he had a weapon?" Rick asked. "There's something you need?" He asked Aaron.

"He has a camp nearby. He wants us to audition for membership." Sasha said.

"I wish there was another word. Audition makes it sound like we're some kind of dance troupe. That's only Friday nights. And it's not a camp. More like a community." Aaron said. "I think you'll make valuable additions but it's not up to me. My job is to convince you all to follow me back home." He said.

None of us said anything and so Aaron spoke again.

"I know. If I were you, I wouldn't go either. Not until I knew exactly what I'm getting into." Aaron said.

He went on about his community but then Rick punched him across the face, knocking him out.

Some time later, he was conscious again. A group went out to check if he really only had one other person with him.

After awhile, we were heading to the community Aaron spoke about. We saw a flare and we figured it was Rick and the others so we went to it. We saw someone and went to towards him.

"Help me, please." The man said.

"What happened?" I asked.

"I hurt my ankle." He said.

We brought him into the building after making sure it was clear. I took his shoe and sock off then examined his ankle.

"Your ankle is broken." I said. "Maggie, can you get me something to wrap around his ankle and something to keep his ankle straight?" I asked.

She nodded her head then came back with something I could use. I then did what I could.

"I'm Eric." He introduced.

"Sydney." I said.

"Can I ask what you did before the dead started walking around?" He asked.

"I was a neurosurgeon." I said.

"Really? We could use another doctor at the community." He said.

"Where is this community?" I asked.

He then told me before we heard whistling. I stood up and walked outside. I saw Rick and the others walking in our direction. Rick ran up to Carl and hugged him then ran up to me, engulfing me in a tight embrace.

"I was scared something happened to you all." Rick said.

"As you see, we're okay. And I'm glad you guys are alright." I said. "And there's something you need to see." I added.

I then led them to where Eric was laying. Aaron ran over to him and hugged him then kissed him.

"His ankle is broken but the less weight he puts on it, the faster it'll heal." I said.

"She should know, she was a neurosurgeon before." Eric said.

"Thank you so much for helping him." Aaron thanked me.

"You don't need to thank me. I did all I could to help." I said.

I then pulled Rick aside and he looked at me.

"Eric told me where the community is. And Aaron was telling the truth about only one other person was with him." I said.

"If we're sleeping here, you're staying at this corner." Rick told Aaron.

"Thank you for helping Eric but the only way to keep me from staying by him is to shoot me." Aaron said.

"Rick, he wouldn't be able to get out without us knowing it. Eric isn't in the shape to walk away because of his broken ankle." I said.

"Fine. You can be with him but you better not try anything." Rick said.

Aaron ran to Eric and everyone laid down to go to sleep. I found an office and I sat on the desk with thoughts crowding my mind. The door then opened and I looked up to see Rick walking in then he shut the door. He walked over and went between my legs. He placed his hands on my hips and looked me in the eyes.

"Is everything alright? I know I'm asking that a lot but I'm worried about you." He said.

"I'm fine. My sister is still on my mind but it's nothing to worry yourself with." I said, wrapping my arms around his waist and put my head against his chest.

"I can't help but worry. I want you to always be happy because I'm your husband." He said.

"I know and I love you for being so caring." I said, looking at him.

He leaned down and kissed me with me returning it. I climbed off the desk and laid down on the floor with Rick. I cuddled up to him and closed my eyes, falling asleep shortly after.