Chapter 18

We've been on the road for awhile and we soon heard something. Everyone came to a stop and we got out of the vehicles.

"What happened Dale?" I asked.

"Radiator hose blew." Dale told me.

"If we can't find a radiator hose here." Shane said.

"There's a whole bunch of stuff we can find." I said.

"I can siphon some gas from these cars for a start. Maybe find some water. Or food." T-Dog said.

"This is a graveyard." Lori said.

"Come on everyone. Gather what you can." T-Dog said.

I started walking around with Emma in my arms fast asleep. I looked in a car and a walker hit the window and scared me but luckily Emma didn't wake up. Shane was close to me just to be safer. I didn't care as long as he doesn't do what he did back at the CDC. Shane found a water truck and opened it, revealing a lot of full containers of water. He opened one and the water poured all over him. He motioned me to come closer and he put some water on his hand and put it on Emma's face to keep her cool. That didn't even wake her up. He then did the same with me then went back to the RV.

Rick was in front of us between a couple cars and then he motioned everyone to get under the cars. I looked behind us and saw a herd of walkers. Me and Shane got under the RV with Glenn. I was praying Emma won't wake up and start crying. I saw a lot of walker feet walk past my face but I had to stay quiet even though I was scared. I felt Emma stir awake and she opened her eyes and looked at me. Shane felt her stir awake as well and looked at her, worried. I can tell she was about to cry so I put her under my shirt after moving my bra out of the way and she instantly attached herself to my breast.

I then heard a scream and it sounded like Sophia. We were able to get out of under the cars and I had to get out slowly since Emma was still attached to me. Shane helped me stand up and we walked to the others.

"What happened?" I asked.

"Sophia ran into the woods with two walkers behind her and Rick ran after her." Lori told me.

I was already worried but now I'm more worried. Some time later, Rick returned but without Sophia.

"Where's Sophia?" Carol asked.

"She didn't come back?" Rick asked.

"No." I said.

"My baby is still out there." Carol said, crying.

"We'll go look for her. Me, Shane, Daryl and Glenn will go. The rest of you stay here." Rick said.

Emma detached herself and I got her out under my shirt then moved my bra back in place. We walked around except for Lori and Carol, they stayed at the guard rail. I walked into the RV and changed her diaper and now she's on her last one.

After a little while, Shane and Glenn returned. They told Carol that Rick and Daryl are still out there looking for her. I was next to Carl when he walked to a truck and opened it, revealing a dead body.

"Carl, be careful." I said.

"I am." Carl said.

He reached over, keeping an eye on the dead body then started pulling on something. He got it lose and fell to the ground.

"Are you okay?" I asked, worried.

"I'm okay." He said, before rolling out the thing he found.

There was all sorts of weapons in it and they looked pretty sharp.

"Carl, go give those to Dale." I said.

"But mom..." He said.

"Carl. Go give them to Dale." I said, sternly.

"Okay." He said, rolling it back up and took them to Dale.

It was starting to get dark when Daryl and Rick returned but Sophia wasn't with them.

"You didn't find her?" Carol asked.

"Her trail went cold. We'll pick it up at first light tomorrow." Rick said.

"You can't leave my daughter out there on her own in the dark." Carol said.

"Out in the dark's no good. We'd just be tripping over ourselves. More people get lost." Daryl said.

"But she's twelve. She can't be out there on her own. You didn't find anything?" Carol said.

"I know this is hard but I'm asking you not to panic. We know she was out there. And we tracked her for awhile. We have to make this an organized effort. Daryl knows these woods better than anybody. I've asked him to oversee this." Rick said.

"Is that blood?" I asked, seeing blood on their hands.

"We took down a walker." Daryl said.

"A walker? Oh god." Carol said.

"There was no sign it was ever near Sophia." Rick said.

"How do you know that?" Andrea asked.

"We cut the son of a bitch open, made sure." Daryl said.

"How could you just leave her out there to begin with? How could you just leave her?" Carol asked.

"Those two walkers were on us. I had to draw them off, it was her best chance." Rick said.

"Sounds like he didn't have a choice, Carol." Shane said.

"How was she supposed to find her back on her own? She's just a child." Carol said.

"It was my only option. The only choice I could make." Rick said.

We then walked to the vehicles where we're sleeping in. I was laying next to Rick while Carl and Emma slept next to each other.

"Do you believe I made the right choice Sydney?" Rick asked.

"I believe you did. I know there was no way for you to kill two walkers while protecting her. I'm sure Carol understands but she's worried about her daughter." I said.

"I would be too if Carl was out there by himself." He said.

"We know that. It's just hard for her." I said.

I pecked his lips before we fell asleep in each other's arms.