Chapter 41

I was woken up by someone kissing my neck. I opened my eyes and was welcomed by Ricks smiling face.

"What time is it?" I asked, groggily.

"It's 7:35 am." He said.

"Why'd you wake me up this early?" I asked.

"Because I want to spend time with you before the kids wake up." He said.

"Something we don't always get to do." I said, turning around and put my head on his chest.

A few hours later, we were downstairs with everyone else. I walked outside with Emma while Carl had Judith in a stroller. We walked down the street and was stopped by an elderly couple.

"Look at the adorable babies." The woman said.

"Do you want to hold them?" I asked.

"Can we?" The man asked.

We walked over and I handed Emma to the woman and Carl handed Judith to the man.

"I'm Natalie Miller and this is my husband Bob Miller." Natalie introduced.

"I'm Sydney Grimes, this is my son Carl, the girl you're holding is Emma and Bob's holding Judith." I said.

"Where's your husband?" Bob asked.

"He's still at the house." I replied.

I smiled before looking to my left. I saw Rick standing next to Jesse and I waved to him.

"Who are you waving at?" Natalie asked.

"My husband is over there with Jesse." I said, still looking at Rick.

"From what I can see from here, he's quite handsome." Natalie said.

"He is. He's a great husband and father." I said, smiling.

We were now home and I was laying on the couch while Judith and Emma was taking their nap and Carl was out doing something. The front door opened and I looked to see Rick walking inside. He saw me on the couch and walked over.

"May I join you Mrs. Grimes?" He asked.

"You may Mr. Grimes." I said, moving so he can lay behind me.

My back was against him and he wrapped his arm around my waist.

"I freaked out earlier." He said.

"Why?" I asked.

"I couldn't find you, Carl, Emma and Judith." He told me.

"We were with the Millers. They're nice people and they want to meet you." I said, turning around in his embrace.

"I'd love to meet them." He said. "Are you okay? I've noticed you spacing out a few times lately." He said.

"Yeah. I'm fine." I assured.

Rick was now outside the walls doing something that he said he needed to do. I was sitting on the step with Emma on my leg. Judith was playing with her toys in front of me. I saw something across the street. I looked closer and saw my sister. She was smiling at me and I couldn't help but smile. I was also tearing up.

"Sydney, are you okay? Why are you crying?" Aaron asked, sitting next to me.

"I just see my sister over there." I said.

"I don't see anyone." He said.

"Of course you don't. She's dead." I said.

"I'm so sorry. How did she die?" He said.

"Giving birth to Judith. She risked her life so her daughter can live. But I killed her." I said.

"How did you kill her?" He asked.

"I had to do a c-section to get Judith out. I didn't have the proper things I needed. But she knew she wouldn't make it through it and I knew that too. But I just didn't want to accept it." I said. "She died about 6 or 7 months ago. I still can't believe she's gone." I said.

"I'm so sorry you lost her. She's still with you in your heart and she's happy you're still alive. She's happy that you're all alive. I know she's proud of you all." He said.

"I know she is but I just wish she was here with me in person. I miss her Aaron. I miss her so much." I said, starting to cry.

"I know you do. She was your sister but I know she enjoyed every minute with you. Even if I never met her." He said, putting his hand on my shoulder.

"You would've loved her. She had her bad sides but she also had her good sides. But she was a good sister, not all the time but I still loved her. Rick used to be married to her but she...cheated on him with his best friend. I let him stay at my place and we grew closer and we got together and had Emma. Of course, Emma was born during the world ending but it was still a blessing." I said.

He soon left and I was on the porch with Daryl while Rick was doing something in the house. He soon walked out, causing me and Daryl to look at him. We saw him wearing a police jacket.

"You a cop again?" Daryl asked.

"Just trying it out." He said. "We can start sleeping in our own homes now." He added.