Chapter 27

Maggie, Daryl, Rick, Glenn and T-Dog were going in to clear the other part.

"Come on! Over here!" I shouted.

I had my knife out and when a walker got close, I stabbed it through the fence, careful not to hit Emma who was now attached to me by something that Daryl made. The others was soon somewhere we couldn't see. I was worried but I know they know what they're doing.

Glenn was about to come let us in but stopped. They went inside which caused us to get confused. I had a feeling of why they're doing. A few minutes later, Glenn came out and let us in. We walked into the prison and into the cell block.

"Is it safe?" Lori asked.

"This cell block is." Rick said.

I walked to a cell and put the bag I was carrying down on the bed. It was decided to get some rest before going to find the cafeteria then the infirmary. Carl was sleeping next to Emma again and I saw Rick sitting on the floor. I walked over and sat down next to him.

"What's wrong Rick?" I asked.

"I'm just hoping this place will be our permanent home and we won't have to move again." He said.

"We all hope it will be. But don't worry yourself to death about it. We'll fight to keep it our home, you know we will." I said.

"I know." He said.

"It'll also be safer for Lori to give birth here and there's only two people who can help her give birth. That's me and Hershel. Especially me because I've delivered many babies before. I even helped deliver Carl, remember?" I said.

"Yeah I do. I couldn't stop thanking you for that." He said. "But I'm worried that she'll need to get another c-section like before." He said.

"I am too. I'm the only one who had enough training to perform a c-section. I know Hershel knows how to do it but I've performed a lot of them. Some of them was because I was the only surgeon available at the time." I said. "You know we'll do everything we can to help her." I said.

"I know and thank you Sydney. I love you." He said.

"I love you too Rick. I would kiss you but you got some walker blood on your face." I said.

"Oops." He said.

"I better go get some sleep. You better do the same Rick since you're going to be busy." I said, standing up.

"I'll join you but I'm going to sit here for a bit longer." He said.

"Alright." I said, walking into the cell.

It was soon morning and a group was going to go find the cafeteria.

After a little while, there was yelling.

"Open the door! It's Hershel!" Rick shouted.

Carl opened the door and they wheeled Hershel inside, who was missing half of his leg.

"In here!" I shouted, motioning to his cell.

They put him on the bed and Rick left again since there was yelling.

"We can cauterize it, make the blood clot." Glenn said.

"We can't. The shock will kill him and it's not going to stop the arteries from bleeding." I said. "We need to elevate his leg. Get me some towels and extra pillows!" I said.

His leg was soon elevated and I was sitting next to his bed.

"I can't do anymore without the supplies that I need. We need to keep it dressed and let it heal on its own. We'll be using the last of the medical supplies we have left." I said.

I checked his pulse and his breathing. His breathing is rasp and his pulse is dropping. The others soon came back with food and Rick stopped by the cell.

"Any change?" Rick asked.

"His pulse is weak, his breathing is shallow but the bleeding is under control and there's no fever. He also hasn't opened his eyes." I told him.

"Take my cuffs. Handcuff him to the bed. I'm not taking any chances." Rick said.

Glenn took the cuffs and put them on Hershel, attaching him to the bed.

"Carol, can you keep an eye on Hershel and let me know of any changes?" I asked.

"Of course." Carol said.

I walked out of the cell and went outside with Rick following me. I sat on the step and Rick joined me.

"I'm doing all I can with the supplies I have but we're running out." I said. "There's only so much I can do. I just hope it's enough for him to stay alive." I said, putting my head down.

"You're doing great in there Sydney. We know you're doing what you can but you're helping him stay alive." He said.

"I know. It's just hard seeing him like this. I can't imagine what Maggie and Beth are going through, seeing their father like that." I said.

"Sydney! Come quick!" Lori shouted.

I quickly stood up and ran inside with Rick behind me.

"What's going on?!" I asked, running into the cell.

"He stopped breathing." Carol told me.

I started doing chest compressions then did mouth to mouth. While I was doing mouth to mouth, Hershel wrapped his arm around my neck and started pulling me closer to him. I was trying to pull away from him, scared he was a walker. I was then pulled away from him. I looked beside me and saw Rick holding onto me. (I know he wasn't there at that time but I changed it.)

I checked his pulse and his pulse was back and his breathing was shallow again. Carol said that she'll watch him again and I walked away. I saw Daryl in the room that had a round table. I leaned against the door and slid down to the floor.

"What was all the screaming about in there?" Daryl asked.

"Hershel woke up and grabbed me while I was doing mouth to mouth and I thought he was walker. Scared the hell out of me." I said, looking at him.

"Damn." He said. "How's he doing? Is he awake?" He asked.

"He's like he was before. Shallow breathing, low pulse. I just hope he'll get better." I said.

"He will with you taking care of him." He said.

"Thanks. I better go back in there to watch him." I said, standing up. "And try to get all this blood off of me." I said.

He nodded his head slightly then I walked back to his cell. While I was sitting next to his bed, Glenn spoke.

"I thought you were with the food?" Glenn said.

"I got something better. Look." Carl said.

I looked and saw a bag full of medical supplies.

"Where did you get these?" I asked.

"The infirmary. I killed a couple walkers." He said.

"Carl. You see this? This happened in a group. You can't be going off by yourself like that. You can get yourself killed." I said.

"I wanted to help." He said.

"I'm thankful for that but—" I said.

"Then get off my back!" He shouted.

"Carl! She's your mother, you don't speak to her like that." Beth said.

Carl walked away and I started bandaging his leg up with fresh bandages.