Chapter 73

I woke up and saw Daryl beside. I smiled seeing him still with me.

"How long have you been waiting for me to wake up Daryl?" I asked.

"Not too long. You've only been asleep for a couple of hours. Your kids came and visited but then they had to go to school." He said. "Siddiq said you can still go to the fair. You just have to take these to help with the headaches." He said, showing me pills. "And here's clothes for you to wear." He said.

He turned around and I put the clothes on.

I was given a crutch to use and we left for the Kingdom

I was given a crutch to use and we left for the Kingdom. Daryl stayed beside me the whole time and never left my side. Occasionally, I'd catch him looking at me.

"Sydney." Henry said, beside me. "I'm happy you're okay. Minus the concussion and the stab wound." He said.

"I'm happy you didn't get hurt too badly. I wouldn't know what to tell your mom if something happened to you." I said.

We came up to a road and saw Michonne, Judith and Emma in the carriage.

"Anyone heading to the Kingdom?" Judith said.

We smiled before getting in. I was beside Judith and Michonne. Emma was sitting on my lap without hitting my leg wound. Daryl, Connie, Lydia, Henry and dog were in the back.

"We missed you mom." Emma said.

"I missed you both and your brother too." I said.

"We were scared you died." Emma said. "I don't want you to die mom." She said.

"I'm not going to die anytime soon sweetheart. But you know I can't promise that." I said. "I love you both so much." I said.

"We love you too mom." Judith and Emma said in unison.

Judith put her head against my ribs and Emma had her head on my shoulder.

After what felt like forever, even though it was only about ten minutes, we arrived at the Kingdom. The kids got out and Daryl helped me get out. I saw Carol next to Ezekiel near the flowers and I headed towards them.

"Hi Ezekiel and Carol." I greeted, smiling.

"Hello Sydney. I heard about you getting taken and I'm glad to see you back." Carol said. "Did they hurt you?" She asked.

"They just stabbed my leg and gave me a concussion. But Daryl saved me before they could do more to me. Even though I was unconscious when they got there." I said. "But I'd be dead right now if him and Connie didn't show up." I said.

"Don't say that. You would've gotten away. You're strong." Carol said.

"Maybe you're right." I said, before looking at Daryl.

Daryl was playing with Emma and Judith. They were both laughing along with Daryl. RJ was beside me holding onto my hand.

"He's amazing with the kids." I said, smiling.

"Yes he is. He'll be an awesome father if he would find someone." She said.

"Carol, I'm thinking about leaving." I said, after Ezekiel walked away.

"What do you mean?" She asked.

"I know Rick is still alive out there. I don't believe he's dead." I said. "I'm leaving to look for him. I know he's out there somewhere and if he's still alive, he'll be looking for us too. I need to find him." I said.

"But what about your kids Sydney? They need you." She said.

"I know and I've thought about that. I want you to watch over them and also Daryl. But don't tell anyone what I'm planning on doing. I'll be okay, I'll take a walkie with me if you want me to. And I'll check in with you every day." I said.

"I know I can't stop you. But please be careful out there I don't want anything happening to you. None of us do. But maybe you should wait to leave since the whisperers are still out there." She said.

"I know I should wait but the longer I stay the harder it'll be to leave to find my husband." I said. "I need to find him and find out if he really is dead or if he's still alive." I said.

"Okay. Take a walkie with you so we can talk so I know you're okay." She said. "And you know Daryl is going to ask where you are and he'll know if I'm lying to him. Once he knows you left, he'll go looking for you." She said.

"I know and that's why you have to keep him from searching for me. When he finds out, tell him that I need to do it by myself." I said.

"Okay. I'll miss you." She said.

"I'll miss you too Carol." I said, hugging her.

Night soon came and I got everything I'll need, plus the walkie. I walked to Daryl's room and slowly opened the door. The kids were cuddled up to him which brought a smile to my face. I shut the door quietly and walked out of the building. I saw Carol sitting on the step and she turned when she heard me coming out. She stood up and hugged me tightly.

"Please stay safe out there." She said, sounding like she's about to cry.

"Don't cry Carol. I'll be back and hopefully with Rick. I'll keep you updated while I'm out there, I promise." I said. "But if I don't, it doesn't mean something bad happened. I probably can't make any noise." I said. "I've always seen you as a mom so I'm going to start calling you mom." I said.

"I'll always call you sweetheart since you're like a daughter." She said.

"Bye mom." I said.

"Bye sweetheart." She said.

I walked to the gate and it opened. I walked out, starting my journey to find Rick.