Chapter 17

I woke up to Emma crying and Rick woke up too but not Carl. I got up and picked her up and fed her. Once she finished, I then took her into the bathroom so I can change her diaper. I put her down for her to sleep, hopefully she falls back asleep. I laid down next to Rick and I put my hand on his chest. I swung my leg over Rick and laid on him. Nothing sexual just so I can be closer. He wrapped his arms around me and smiled at me.

"What are doing baby?" He asked.

"I just felt like laying on top of you." I said.

"Okay then." He said, chuckling quietly.

"I love you Rick." I said.

"I love you too." He said.

I kissed him then we both went back to sleep.

A few hours later, we were now sitting around the table eating breakfast that T-Dog made.

"These eggs are good T-Dog." I complimented.

"Thanks Sydney." T-Dog said, smiling.

"Please don't let me drink ever again." Glenn said.

"Eat the eggs T-Dog made. The protein will help with the hangover." I said.

"Hey." Shane said, walking into the room.

I didn't look at him because of last night. I felt Shane looking at me and it was making me uncomfortable. We were now in the main room with Jenner explaining everything.

"Give me playback of TS-19." Jenner said.

"Playback of TS-19." Vi said, then a picture showed on the big screen.

"Few people ever got the chance to see this. Very few." Jenner said.

"Is that a brain?" Carl asked.

"An extraordinary one." Jenner replied. "Not that it matters in the end. Take us in for the EIV." He said.

"Enhanced internal view." Vi said, then showed the inside.

"What are those lights?" Glenn asked.

"A persons life. Experiences, memories. It's everything. Somewhere in that organic wiring, all those ripples of life, is you. The thing that you unique and human." Jenner said.

"You don't ever make sense?" Daryl said.

"What he means is those are synapses, electric impulses in the brain that carry all the messages. They determine what a person says, does or think from the moment of birth to the moment of death." I said.

"Can I ask how you knew that?" Jenner asked me.

"I was a neurosurgeon before. I worked with the brain." I said.

"Wait, death? This is a vigil?" Andrea asked.

"Yes or rather a playback." Jenner said.

"This person died? Who?" Lori asked.

"Test subject 19." Jenner said. "Someone who was bitten and infected. Volunteered to have us record the process." He said. "Vi, scan forward to the first event." He said.

"What is that?" Rick asked.

"It invaded the brain like meningitis. The adrenal glands hemorrhage, the brain starts to shut down then the major organs. Then death. Everything you ever were or ever will be...is gone." Jenner said.

"Is that what happened to Jim?" Carl asked.

"Yes." I said.

"She lost somebody two days ago. Her sister." Lori said.