Chapter 25

I was sitting outside at the fence and looked out in the distance.

"Mom, can I talk to you?" Carl asked.

"Of course you can Carl." I said, looking at him. "What is it?" I asked.

"Can we talk somewhere else so no one hears?" He asked.

"Yeah. Come on." I said, starting to walk with him following me.

We were soon away from everyone else and I turned and crouched down.

"What is it you want to talk to me about?" I asked.

"It's my fault that Dale died." He said.

"It's not your fault Carl. Dale died from a walker." I said.

"I was in the woods at the little creek and there was a walker stuck in the mud." He said.

"The walker that killed Dale?" I asked.

"Yeah. I was throwing rocks and stuff at it and it fell and was crawling after me and I ran. But I was going to kill it but I didn't and now Dale's dead." He said.

"Carl, it's not your fault that Dale died. That walker could've gotten through anyways because the mud was drying up." I said.

"There's something else." He said, reaching behind him and pulled out a gun then handed it to me.

"Why do you have this Carl?" I asked, holding the gun.

"I took it from Daryls bag on his bike." He said.

"You should hold onto it. I'll protect you at all times but I can't keep my eyes on you 24/7, only you can do that." I said. "Here, take it." I said.

"No. I don't want to hold a gun ever again." He said, walking back to the house.

I sighed and looked down. I put the gun in the back of my pants and went to look for Daryl, which I have a good guess where he is. I walked further and saw him near stacked up wood. I walked over to him which caused him to look at me.

"Hello Daryl." I said.

"Hey." He said, doing what he was doing.

I reached behind me and pulled his gun out and held it out to him. He looked at it then stood up.

"Why do you have my gun?" He asked, grabbing it.

"I found it somewhere when I was walking around and so I thought I should return it to you." I lied.

"Okay." He said, putting his gun in the bag on his bike. "Thank you." He said. "So how's Emma doing?" He asked, turning back to me.

"She's doing fine. She's a silly month old baby." I said. "She also misses her Uncle Daryl." I said.

"Uncle Daryl?" He asked.

"You're like family to me so you're one of her Uncles." I said.

"I'm honored to be her Uncle." He said. "Where is she?" He asked.

"She's with her father." I said.

"Can I ask something? You don't have to answer if you don't want to." He said.

"Go ahead." I said.

"What's going on between you and Shane?" He asked. "You seem to try to avoid him as much as you can." He added.

"He did something at the CDC." I said.

"What did he do? Do I have to beat the shit out of him?" He asked.

"He kissed me before Rick got back to the room with Carl and Emma." I said. "You don't have to beat the shit out of him. But thank you for showing you'll protect me." I said, smiling.

"That son of a bitch." He said. "And of course I'll protect you Sydney. You're family to me as well." He said.

"I'm part of the Dixon family? Damn, I achieved a lot during the whole world ending." I said, chuckling with him joining.

I went back to the house with Daryl. We saw T-Dog and everyone else go to where Randall was being held.

"What's going on?" I asked.

"Randall's gone." Glenn told me.

"Rick!" Shane exclaimed from our left.

We all turned and saw him coming out of the woods with blood on his nose.

"What happened?" I asked.

"Asshole clocked me in the nose and took my gun!" Shane exclaimed.

"Hershel get everyone in the house and keep them there!" Rick shouted.

"He's gone. You were going to let him go." Carol said.

"Far away from here, not on our fronts step with a gun." Rick said.

Daryl, Glenn, Rick and Shane were heading out to look for Randall while the rest of us went to the house. I was worried and scared about everything that's happening.

It turned dark and they were still out there. I went on the porch and saw Glenn and Daryl return. I looked around for Carl but I couldn't find him. I walked to Carol.

"Carol, have you seen Carl? He was upstairs but he's not there anymore." I said.

"He has to be around here somewhere." Carol said.

Glenn had Emma since me and Carol were looking for Carl. I looked in the distance and saw a herd of walkers.

"Carol, get in the truck and leave with them." I said.

"What about you?" She asked.

"I'll get out. I promise." I said.

She got in the truck and I didn't see Emma but she's with Glenn. At least I hope so.

"Come on Sydney!" Daryl shouted.

I ran and got on the back of his motorcycle and wrapped my arms around him and held onto him tightly so I don't fall. We started leaving the farm and we stopped on the dirt road. We watched the barn and RV go up in flames then we heard the walkers getting closer. We were now on our way to the interstate to hopefully join up with the others.