Chapter 52 - Elon

You can read all of Forgetting Arlo and Liberty

You can read all of Forgetting Arlo and Liberty. You can also read ahead of my new stories Destined, Shattered Souls, and The King's Lost Queen plus many more stories. You will always be supporting me. To find out more, please click on this link: patreon.com/littletroublemaker_

"I could do this all day" - Captain America: Civil War, 2016

Word count: 1698

THE border that split the North and South up was eerily quiet

THE border that split the North and South up was eerily quiet. There was an odd, moldy scent in the air that momentarily distracted me from my negative thoughts. The atmosphere was tense and foreboding. My soldiers maintained their stoic expressions but their eyes couldn't hide their fear of the unknown.

There wasn't a rebel in sight. Nor was there any sign of Ender's soldiers. We were alone.

Beside me, Aurora's brown orbs surveyed the clearing, her small nose wrinkling. In the distance, you could spot Stella Sadorna in all its glory. It truly was a large beacon to my citizens. A place of hope for so many and a place of dread for others. It was an incredibly old tower that had watched millions of people live in Sadorna over the centuries. 

My Queen's face was easy to read. She was reminiscing about her time in Sadorna—of her life before me. I shoved down any thoughts that a part of her longed to live her old life—where she didn't have to worry about being Queen. She chose to be here. I wouldn't let her go. Just like I wouldn't let anyone steal my crown.

"There's no one here," Aurora stated, speaking the words nobody else did. Her expression replicated many others—she was confused and slightly fearful. I expected to see someone. I assumed we'd have to encounter half a dozen or so rebels who wanted to send a clear message. But the place was deserted.

The two-story, unoccupied building where we'd be staying for the unseeable future was in its usual state. The last time I came here, I was with Aurora. That day in the carriage felt like a lifetime ago. So much has happened between us since then.

I wondered where Wylan and the small collection of troops I had given him were. They were supposed to be patrolling the border.

"Cale, I want the soldiers to put up their tents and plant our defensive weapons down. I don't like how out in the open we are," I turned to my younger brother and ordered. His green orbs were hard and alert. Like me, he had trained hard during his youth. I knew he would be able to take care of himself if we were suddenly attacked. "Get Hugo to prepare a rota for our generals. They can assign patrols. We need a good few stalking the border and the camp throughout the day and night."