Chapter 14 - Aurora

You can read all of Forgetting Arlo and Liberty

You can read all of Forgetting Arlo and Liberty. You can also read ahead of my new stories Destined and The King's Lost Queen plus many more stories. You will always be supporting me. To find out more, please click on this link: patreon.com/littletroublemaker_

"Dread it, run from it, destiny arrives all the same." — Avengers Infinity War, 2018 

Word count: 1793

I sat with my dead friend's body for a while

I wanted to savor this time I had with her. I knew I'd never get a moment with her again. We'd never laugh about something silly, and never eat scraps again. I'd never hear her tell me about how amazing and special it was. 

That sent a wave of pain into my heart. Sadness lurked in the corners of my mind, threatening to plunge me into a sea of loathing and loneliness. It was my old friend. Forever haunting me, reminding me that I was one step closer to losing myself completely. To becoming an emotionless zombie like my parents. 

It hurt to leave her body. I didn't want to leave her alone but I had to get somebody. Jared was upstairs, blissfully unaware that the love of his life was below him, dead. He was going to be devastated when he found out. He loved her so much. This would destroy him. 

Wiping away the remaining tears on my face, I mustered up as much strength as I could manage and walked away from my close friend. I would miss her deeply. I would always remember the brief, happy moments we had. She didn't deserve any of this. 

When I needed it, Harriet managed to bring a smile to my face. She was a good person despite her faults. I'd remember her positively. I owed her that much. 

The large room was full of people. Banging music bounced off the sturdy walls, vibrating the foundations. People swayed, dancing. 

Numb from the emotional pain, I pushed my way through the crowd, oblivious to the shouts of protests I received. They didn't matter. None of it mattered. They were insignificant at the moment.

I searched for Jared. Since he had a tall stature, it would be easy to find him. Normally, he lingered in the back, talking to someone. For him, this was one of the few times he could socialize with people. Normally, he'd have Harriet hanging off him, singing to herself in the wrong pitch. That would never happen again.