Chapter 23 - Aurora

You can read all of Forgetting Arlo and Liberty

You can read all of Forgetting Arlo and Liberty. You can also read ahead of my new stories Destined and The King's Lost Queen plus many more stories. You will always be supporting me. To find out more, please click on this link: patreon.com/littletroublemaker_

"All right, Mr. DeMille, I'm ready for my close-up." — Sunset Boulevard, 1950

Word count: 2200

EXPLAINING the situation to Ash didn't go as well as I expected

EXPLAINING the situation to Ash didn't go as well as I expected. She exploded into an array of reds and blacks; her demeanor furious with this turn of events. It was as if the gods of the weather sensed her emotions because a crack of thunder sounded from outside.

The hairs on my arms stood up and my eyes pleaded with her to calm down.

She trotted back and forth in front of the window, a hand under her chin, deep in thought. "I will fix this somehow. Whatever he said to you is bullshit, Aurora. Soul mates and magic doesn't exist. He's probably drugging you."

She was rambling, her words all over the place. Whenever I tried to get a word in, she would either shush me or continue blabbering.

"—I'll get you out of here. I know so many secret tunnels." She said, stopping. My heart rate picked up at this. I could actually escape with her help.

However, instead of an immediate tidal wave of joy, I felt...upset. To say the emotion confused me would be an understatement. I wanted to leave this awful place, desperately. I wasn't happy here and I don't think I ever could be.

The King was cold and spoilt. Yet, he stirred emotions in me that I had never felt before. I was drawn to him.

When Ash claimed soul mates didn't exist, my stomach churned. I felt like she was wrong. What I felt earlier—the sparks—were real. There was some sort of...connection.

Not wanting to leave had to do with the 'bond' I had with King Elon. What I was feeling wasn't my own, authentic emotions. It was some supernatural thing that tried to push me toward him.