95 - A Pile of Presents

Adriana

When I woke up on Christmas morning, I saw Hermione, who had arrived at Grimmauld Place as soon as the term at Hogwarts ended, sitting on the floor at the foot of her bed and opening her presents. I sat up in bed and peered down at the floor, surprised to see a fairly large pile of presents, before I looked over at Ginny, who was still fast asleep on her bed.

"Merry Christmas, Adriana," Hermione said quietly.

I looked back over at her and smiled as I said, "Merry Christmas, Hermione." I then reached over to my bedside table and put my glasses on, before I wrapped a blanket around myself and got out of bed to sit on the floor like Hermione. I looked around at all the presents, trying to decide which to open first, and soon chose the one from Hermione. I opened it to reveal a book on magical creatures, one that I had never seen before. "Ooo, thank you, Hermione."

Hermione looked over at me and smiled once she saw what I was holding. "You're welcome. I know you really like magical creatures, and I found that book which goes into lots of detail about them, especially with how to care for them. I thought you might find it interesting."

"I definitely will. Thank you."

Hermione nodded at me. "And thank you for this." She gestured to the yarn, crochet hooks, and book on crochet I had gifted her.

"You're welcome," I replied, giving her a small smile. "I know that you've been knitting stuff for the house elves at Hogwarts and I thought you might want to try crochet for fun."

Hermione thanked me again, and she finished opening up the rest of her presents while I worked on mine. The amount of presents I got this year was much larger than any year before, and I decided to open the ones from my friends next. I ended up getting a crocheted, stuffed niffler from Katherine, a figurine of a dragon (which seemed to be becoming a theme in my presents, not that I was upset) from Cedric, and a stuffed dinosaur from Naomi. I then spotted the present from my parents and opened it to reveal some clothes and muggle sweets.

Very happy with my haul so far, I grabbed and opened the present from Mrs. Weasley to reveal a purple knitted sweater. I placed it down and looked over my remaining presents, and decided to unwrap the presents from Fred, Ron, and Harry next, soon ending up with an assortment of wizarding sweets from the three of them. I then reached for the present from Ginny, and unwrapped a book about Quidditch manoeuvres and how to perform them. A part of me was confused at this, as I didn't have my own broom to practice with, but I was happy nonetheless, and was planning in my head who's broom I'd steal first.

At this point, I thought I had to be done opening all my presents, but I still had three left. One was from Remus, which ended up being a whole bunch of chocolate, the second one was from Sirius, which I opened to find a small, black dog stuffed animal, and the third was from Tonks. I unwrapped it to see a framed moving photo of her and I that we had taken during the summer, when Tonks brought her camera to Grimmauld Place to get a picture of us together. In the photo, we were standing next to one another and laughing as we continually changed our appearances.

I smiled at the photo, which seemed to catch Hermione's attention, as she asked me, "What's that?" soon after.

"It's a picture of Tonks and I," I replied, while Hermione got up to sit down next to me and look at the photo. She too smiled at it.

"You know, you and Tonks are really similar."

"Yeah," I said, nodding in agreement. "Hufflepuff... Metamorphmagus... Her last name is the same as my mum's last name... So many similarities."

"Wait," Hermione said, looking slightly confused. "What was that last one?"

"Tonks's last name and my mum's maiden name are the same," I repeated. "So that makes us even more alike."