7 - Shut Up

George

As soon as I turned away from Adriana and started walking to the Gryffindor common room, a huge grin spread across my face. I tried to stop the smile, but I just couldn't help it. She's basically all that's been on my mind since I first saw her in that bookshop in the muggle village back home.

All I've been wanting since our first conversation in the bookstore was to talk to her again, and I finally, fucking finally, got to do just that. Although, unfortunately, the majority of our conversation was about my future career plans, and not about her.

But, she said that we'd be chatting again soon... How soon is soon? Can soon be "at dinnertime" soon? Can soon be "endlessly talking on the way to dinner, at dinner, and after dinner" soon? Can soon be-

A whack on the back of my head broke me out of my thoughts. I quickly turned to see Fred looking at me, confusion painted all over his face.

He snapped his fingers at me. "Earth to Georgie? You in there?"

"Yeah," I said, taking note of the fact that I was in the common room, and not walking through the halls anymore. "When the fuck did I get in here," I mumbled.

"Like, ten seconds ago," Fred answered. "I've been calling your name, but you just ignored me."

"Sorry," I told him. "My mind's just preoccupied at the moment."

"Preoccupied with what?" he asked me, before the utter confusion on his face turned into a smug grin. "Or should I say, preoccupied with who."

It was my turn to give him a smack on the back of his head, before grabbing him by his robes and pulling him up to our dorm.

"Now you just need to shut up," I said once we reached our dorm.

"Who needs to shut up?" Lee questioned as he emerged from the bathroom.

"Freddie does," I answered, flopping down on my bed.

"And why is that?" he asked while sitting on his own bed.

"I mentioned the girl he fancies in the common room, which is apparently a no-go," Fred said on his way into the bathroom.

"I do not fancy her," I yelled at Fred. "I just want to get to know her some more, that's all. She seems nice to have as a friend," I emphasized the last word.

"Ok, someone's going to have to catch me up here," Lee cut in.

"Long story short," Fred started, walking back out of the bathroom, "George flirted with a girl who supposedly works in a muggle bookstore we visited back at home, found out she was a witch through some eavesdropping before he even started a conversation with her, we ended up stumbling upon the compartment she was in on the way here, George did a little more awkward flirting, and, not sure if you noticed, Lee, but the girl George sat with in Defense Against the Dark Arts was that same girl he's been hopelessly flirting with."

"Wait, you mean the one that Professor Lupin called out along with George?" Lee asked.

"Yep, that's the one," Fred responded.

Lee slowly nodded his head. "I see. If I'm correct, she's the same one that was sitting at the Gryffindor table at breakfast. You know, the one I tried to talk to?"

"Oh yeah," Fred said as the realization dawned on him. "It seemed like she was talking to Neville, yeah? I guess you've got some competition, Georgie."

"Can you both just shut up," I said as I covered my face with a pillow.

"Is that where you disappeared off to after class?" Lee wondered aloud. "I mean, the bell rang, I was talking to Fred, and when I looked to see if you were ready to leave, poof, you were gone, along with the Hufflepuff girl."

I groaned, voice muffled by the pillow. "I didn't just 'disappear'. I followed Adriana out to try and talk to her again."

Lee had a face full of surprise when he talked. "Adriana? Is that her name? Did you actually flirt with a girl and get her name?"

"For your information," I said as I sat up, taking the pillow off my face, "yes, I did get her name. The very first time we talked, might I add. Not the second, not the third, but the first."

"Wow, Georgie," Fred said in mock surprise. "Are you seriously keeping track of how many times you've talked?"

I rolled my eyes at him. "No. I just happen to remember that we've had full conversations three times now."

"Mate," Lee started, "it really sounds like you're keeping count."

I exhaled a breath of air while rubbing my face with my hands. "I give up on trying to explain myself and my interactions to you two."

"Well, ignoring the fact that you remember exactly how many times you've talked to her, did you learn anything new about Adriana?" Fred asked.

"I learned that if we open our own joke shop, she'd be there for the grand opening, and she might buy something if we give her a discount," I said with an awkward smile.

Lee and Fred sighed in sync.

"Mate, I have really got to teach you some things," Lee said, disappointment lacing his voice.

"No, you can't talk," I defended. "Adriana rejected you earlier when you tried getting her name."

"Oh yeah," Lee said, a smug smile slowly taking over his face. "And how did that make you feel, Georgie?"

I threw the pillow at his face.