79 - Even More Detentions

Adriana

Thursday came and went faster than I would've liked it to. Of course, I wanted the weekdays to pass by quickly so I could get a brief break from classes, but the days ending meant detention with Professor Umbridge. I was very tempted to just let George stop me from going, but, like I had told him, she would just give me more detentions in return. So, I decided that I'd suck it up and get them over with, and never get another detention from her ever again.

And that's what I told myself as I walked into her office with Harry at five o'clock, the both of us not saying anything to Professor Umbridge as we sat down at the same tables we had sat at the night before. The quills and pieces of paper were already laid on the tables, waiting for Harry and I. We picked up the quills at the same time, and Harry reluctantly started to write I must not tell lies, and I was about to do the same before Professor Umbridge stopped me.

"Wait a minute, Ms. LaVey," she said, smiling at me. "I haven't told you what you'll be writing tonight."

"Isn't it the same as last night?" I asked.

"No," she replied, shaking her head. "You did more than just lie. You disrespected me. Tonight, I would like for you to write 'I must not disrespect my elders'."

"Alright," I said, once again rolling my eyes at her when she turned around and sat down at her desk. I then got to work on writing my lines, sighing quietly as I hesitantly placed the quill on the paper and wrote what Professor Umbridge told me to. I immediately felt pain as the words started to get carved into the back of my hand, over top of where the words I must not tell lies had faded away. The pain today, though, was worse than yesterday. The cuts were fading slower, and my hand was quickly getting more and more red as the night went on.

Like last night, I had no idea how much time had passed when Professor Umbridge got out of her seat and stood in front of us. She didn't have to say anything for me to hold out my hand to her. She inspected it for a moment, and then moved onto Harry. My eyes widened as I saw the blood oozing out of his cuts, my anger at the pink demon barely contained as she looked his hand over.

"I see we've made some improvement, Mr. Potter," Professor Umbridge said, a satisfied smile on her face before she turned to me. "As for you, Ms. LaVey, there's still more work to be done. I might even have to extend your detention into the weekend."

"What?" I said. "Why?"

"Because Mr. Potter here will have his fourth detention tomorrow night, while that will only be your third," she replied. "I do not think you will have learned your lesson in only three nights. Four ought to do it, maybe even five for you, dear."

"Seriously?!" I said. "That's just bullsh-"

"Maybe I should make it six?" she interrupted, challenging me.

"Four is fine," I said, staring her down before she dismissed Harry and I.

Friday's detention went by surprisingly quickly for how painful it was. Now that I knew how much pain Harry was in last night, I couldn't even imagine how much he must be hurting tonight. Although, I guess I won't have to imagine for long. Professor Umbridge did, in fact, give me detention on Saturday night, just to make sure I had learnt my "lesson".

Like I had done both last night and on Wednesday night, I returned to the Gryffindor common room with Harry, who basically gasped out the password to the portrait. I was about to ask what was wrong, when he rushed inside, lots of noise engulfing me as I followed.

When I entered, I noticed many people had bottles in their hands, obviously celebrating something. I stopped wondering what that something was when George came up to me, no bottle in hand, but dressed in his Quidditch uniform.