46 - A Dance Lesson

George

All Gryffindor students had been called to a large classroom one day after lunch. I walked with Lee and Fred into the classroom, making note of the boys and girls sitting on opposite sides of the room.

The three of us walked over to where Ron and Harry were sitting, and we stood behind them as Professor McGonagall gathered everyone's attention.

"I know you all may be wondering why you've been gathered here today," she started. "I have something to announce to you all.

"The Yule Ball is approaching. It is a traditional part of the Triwizard Tournament and an opportunity for us to socialize with our foreign guests. Now, the ball will be open only to fourth years and above," she paused as murmurs of disappointment sounded from the younger students, "although you may invite a younger student if you wish.

"Dress robes will be worn, and the ball will start at eight o'clock on Christmas Day, finishing at midnight in the Great Hall.

"As representatives of the host school, I expect each and every one of you to put your best foot forward. And, I mean this literally because, the Yule Ball is first and foremost, a dance."

Excited chatter broke out immediately, the girls in the room seeming more excited than the boys, for some reason. I for one was ecstatic at the thought of a ball. Mainly because the thought of dancing with a certain someone popped into my head.

"Silence!" Professor McGonagall called out. "The House of Godric Gryffindor has commanded the respect of the wizard world for nearly ten centuries. I will not have you, in the course of a single evening, besmirching that name by behaving like a babbling, bumbling band of baboons!"

"Try saying that five times fast," I whispered to Lee and Fred, who started doing exactly that. I joined in along with them in quiet whispers as Professor McGonagall started speaking again.

"Now, to dance is to let the body breathe," she said. "Inside every girl, a secret swan slumbers, longing to burst forth and take flight. Inside every boy, a lordly lion prepared to prance." She paused and looked over in our direction. "Mr. Weasley."

I internally panicked for a moment, thinking she might've been calling on me, before I realized she was looking down at Ron.

"Yes?" Ron reluctantly asked, while Fred, Lee, and I snickered.

"Will you join me please?" Professor McGonagall held out her hand to my little brother. Ron barely took it as he stood up and followed her to the middle of the room. I couldn't contain my chuckles as Ron was instructed to place his hand on Professor McGonagall's waist to get into the proper dancing position.

"Mr. Filch, if you please?" Professor McGonagall said, and Filch started playing the music that had been set up. A slow waltz played, and I burst out in laughter with my twin and best friend as Professor McGonagall waltzed Ron around the room.

"Everybody come together!" Professor McGonagall eventually announced, and all the girls immediately stood from their chairs, while the boys slunk down even further. "Boys, on your feet!"

The boys grumbled in response. However, Neville, very bravely, if I'm being honest, was the first to stand up and make a move, politely asking Ginny to dance. This got some more of the boys to stand and start dancing.

Angelina, Alicia, and Katie made their way over to Lee, Fred, and I. Fred obviously asked Angelina to dance, and Lee asked Katie, which left Alicia and I.

"I guess we'll be partners for now," I said, and she nodded as we got into the proper waltz position. We danced in silence, letting Professor McGonagall teach us, before Alicia eventually spoke up.