43 - Wand Weighing

Adriana

"How does it feel?" Fred asked as he slid onto the bench in front of me, George sliding in next to his brother.

"How does what feel?" I asked back.

"How does it feel to be the Hogwarts champion?" George expanded on Fred's question. "Well, one of them."

"It doesn't feel like anything, really," I told the twins. "I feel slightly more popular now, and I don't like it. There are so many people, mainly strangers I don't even recognize, who keep congratulating me on being the real Hogwarts champion." I rolled my eyes. "Did you two see those badges that people are wearing? The ones that say 'Support Adriana LaVey - The REAL Hogwarts Champion!' and then switch to saying 'Potter Stinks'?"

"No, actually," Fred said with a disgruntled look. "Who's wearing them?"

"I originally saw the Slytherins wearing them," I answered. "But I've seen plenty of people from Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and even Gryffindor with the badges."

"Guess we'll have to keep an eye out in the halls," George said, a mischievous smirk growing on his face as he and Fred met eyes. "We've gotta teach some people a lesson." The twins then jumped up from the table and swiftly left the Great Hall. I just shook my head with a smile, excited to see what would happen to the people wearing those horrible badges.

Later that day, I had been retrieved from my last class of the day and brought to a fairly small classroom, where Viktor, Fleur, Bagman, a man with a camera, and a woman with blonde hair and magenta colored robes were gathered.

"Champion number three!" Bagman exclaimed from where he was sitting at the front of the classroom, in a chair behind a row of velvet-covered desks. "Come in, come in!"

I fully entered the classroom, and was immediately waved over by Fleur, who had a bright smile on her face.

"'Ello again, Adriana," she said once I made it to where she was standing. "'Ow are you today?"

"I'm doing alright," I said. "How about you?"

"I am wonderful," she replied. "I am ready for ze first task to start already."

"I'm quite nervous about the first task," I told her. "I'm nervous about all the tasks, really, but especially this one since we have no information about what it'll be."

Fleur agreed with me, and we continued talking until we heard Bagman speak again. "Ah, here he is! Champion number four! In you come, Harry, in you come... nothing to worry about, it's just the wand weighing ceremony, the rest of the judges will be here in a moment-"

"Wand weighing?" Harry repeated, nervousness coating his voice and features as he stood just inside the room.

"We have to check that your wands are fully functional, no problems, you know, as they're your most important tools in the tasks ahead," Bagman explained. "The expert's upstairs now with Dumbledore. And then there's going to be a little photo shoot. This is Rita Skeeter." He gestured to the woman in the magenta robes, who had her eyes trained on Harry. "She's doing a small piece on the tournament for the Daily Prophet."

"Maybe not that small, Ludo," Rita Skeeter said. "I wonder if I could have a little word with Harry before we start? The youngest champion, you know... to add a bit of color?"

"Certainly!" Bagman exclaimed. "That is, if Harry has no objection?"

"Er-" Harry started, looking very uncomfortable, before Rita Skeeter interrupted him.