37 - Curses

Adriana

"Are you actually going to save the seat next to you for George?" Naomi asked as she, Katherine, and I entered the Defense Against the Dark Arts classroom.

"Yes..." I said, doing exactly that, sitting at the very back of the classroom while making Katherine and Naomi sit in the seats in front of me. "Why wouldn't I?"

"I don't know," Naomi responded, turning around to look back at me. "I just think it'd be fun to see the disappointment on George's face when he realizes he can't sit next to you."

"Now that's just rude, Naomi," I told her.

"To you it is, since you fancy him," Naomi defended. "To me, it's funny, since George so obviously displays his emotions. When your full attention isn't on him, he pouts like a little kid or some shit."

"No he doesn't."

"Yes, he does," Katherine jumped in. "You're just too oblivious to notice."

I rolled my eyes at them, our talking ceasing as the topic of our conversation entered the room, along with Fred and Lee. George slid into the seat next to me, while Fred and Lee sat in seats across the aisle.

"Are you excited for our first lesson with Moody?" George asked. "I for sure am. He probably has loads of experience with the Dark Arts."

"I'm a little nervous, to be honest," I replied. "His eyes kind of freak me out."

"Yeah, I guess that blue one is kind of unsettling," he said. "But, if you look past it, I'm sure everything will be just fine." He stretched his arms above his head and sneakily let his arm rest on the seat behind me as the doors to the classroom banged shut. Everyone in the room watched as Professor Moody made his way to the front and took out a register, calling out each student's name.

"Right then," he started once he finished going through the list, "I've reviewed what all you've gone through in your previous five years of Defense Against the Dark Arts classes, and you're pretty on top of everything. But, you're lacking in curses. Specifically, Dark curses." I nervously looked toward George as Professor Moody paused his speaking, but George only looked excited.

"Curses come in many strengths and forms," Professor Moody continued. "Luckily, you all are in your sixth year, so I'm permitted to show you what illegal Dark curses really look like. Showing you these curses will allow you to better defend yourselves against them. A wizard who's about to put an illegal curse on you isn't going to tell you what he's about to do. He's not going to do it nice and polite to your face. You need to be prepared. You need to be alert and watchful." He looked around at each of us. "So, do any of you know which curses are most heavily punished by Wizarding law?"

Many hands rose into the air, but Professor Moody pointed at George to speak. "My dad told me and my siblings about the Imperius Curse once."

"Ah, yes." Professor Moody seemed to be reminiscing about something. "Your father would know that one. Gave the Ministry a lot of trouble at one time, the Imperius Curse." Professor Moody opened his desk drawer and took out a glass jar, which looked to be holding three large spiders. He opened the jar and took out one of the spiders, holding it in his palm for all to see. He pointed his wand at it and muttered, "Imperio!"

The spider flew up in the air, and Professor Moody made it land on different people's heads and desks. At one point, the spider landed in front of Fred and Lee, and it proceeded to do a backflip before it flew onto George and I's desk. I immediately recoiled away from it, pressing myself into George's side as it did a little dance and, luckily for me, flew off back to the front, without landing on my head.