42 - The Champions

Adriana

The loud cheers that sprouted up around me faded to background noise as I had to process exactly what Professor Dumbledore had said. I also had to figure out if I heard him correctly.

"Go on, Adriana!" Cedric's voice snapped me back to reality, and I apparently did hear correctly, as every Hufflepuff student had jumped to their feet, except for me, and were expectantly watching me.

I quickly stood up and left the Hufflepuff table, making my way down the aisle and toward the teacher's table. I was still in disbelief as I exited the Great Hall and entered the next chamber, where Fleur and Viktor had gone.

The room was a lot smaller than the Great Hall, and was lined with paintings of witches and wizards. There was a fireplace opposite the door, where a fire was roaring and where Viktor and Fleur were standing.

"'Ello," Fleur said with a friendly smile. "I assume you are ze third champion?"

"Somehow, yes," I told her, and joined the two of them by the fire.

"What is your name?" Fleur asked.

"Adriana," I answered. "And yours is Fleur, correct?"

"Yes," she said, and we remained silent after that. I turned and watched the fire burn until the sound of the door opening and closing got me to turn back around. Harry was standing just inside the room, looking quite awkward and out of place.

"What is it?" Fleur questioned. "Do zey want us back in ze Hall?"

Harry looked around at us, seemingly thinking of something to say, when the door opened again.

"Extraordinary!" Ludo Bagman had entered and took Harry by the arm, leading him forward to where me, Fleur, and Viktor were gathered. "Absolutely extraordinary! Ladies and gentleman, may I introduce, incredible though it may seem, the fourth Triwizard champion?"

"What?" I said in even more disbelief than I was when my name shot out of the goblet. "Wait, no, that's not possible. Harry's only fourteen, how can he be the fourth champion in the Triwizard Tournament?"

"That's why it's extraordinary!" Bagman exclaimed. "Harry's name just came out of the Goblet of Fire!"

"But evidently zair 'as been a mistake," Fleur said to Bagman. "'E cannot compete. 'E is too young."

"Well, it is amazing," Bagman said, rubbing his chin while smiling down at Harry. "But, as you know, the age restriction was only imposed this year as an extra safety measure. And as his name's come out of the goblet... I mean, I don't think there can be any ducking out at this stage... It's down in the rules, you're obliged... Harry will just have to do the best he-"

For a third time, the door abruptly opened, and in came Professor Dumbledore, Mr. Crouch, Professor Karkaroff, Madame Maxime, Professor McGonagall, and Professor Snape.

"Madame Maxime!" Fleur said while walking over to her headmistress. "Zey are saying zat zis little boy is to compete also!"

"What is ze meaning of zis, Dumbly-dorr?" Madame Maxime questioned.

"I'd rather like to know that myself, Dumbledore," Professor Karkaroff said. "Two Hogwarts champions? I don't remember anyone telling me the host school is allowed two champions, or have I not read the rules carefully enough?"

"C'est impossible," Madame Maxime continued. "'Ogwarts cannot 'ave two champions. It is most injust."

"We were under the impression that your Age Line would keep out younger contestants, Dumbledore," Professor Karkaroff said. "Otherwise, we would, of course, have brought along a wider selection of candidates from our own schools."