Chapter 8

Characters from the games and creepypastas in this book do not belong to me. This story will have blood, profanity at times, and as I continue writing it there may be more warnings.

comments = me happy = I'm motivated to write

—————
One hour earlier
(Name) passed R's house on her way home only to see him waving at her. Since this morning, he had changed out of the space-themed pajamas and was now wearing jeans, his red hat, and tee-shirt which matched his cap.
"(Name), are you in a rush?"
"Um... not really? What's up?" (Name) replied as she glanced at the time on her phone.
"Want to go on a hike? I set up a treasure hunt thing earlier," R smiled.
"Do you have a map with an X or something," (name) laughed before wincing from her cuts.
"Right here," R waved around a piece of paper before holding it out in front of (name). "So you have time for a treasure hunt?"
"Why not? Should I drop off my bag at home first?"
"It's up to you."
(Name) decided to avoid her house and keep her bag on her instead. She kneeled down and tightened the laces on her muddy shoes before standing up and moving a piece of hair out her face. "So, can I see that map?"
R handed (name) the map and she squinted at the sloppy drawings of the trees and the river in the forest. She located R's house on the map and began walking underneath the shade of the trees with R following a few feet behind her.
Before she knew it, R and (name) were deep in conversation and were reminiscing on previous summers.
"We just need Cherry here and it'll be like old times," R remarked,
"Old times?" (Name) laughed. "It was last year."
"What happened this year though, none of us ever talked..."
"My parents, Cher's trip, and whatever happened with you..."
"Yeah..." R frowned. "But maybe on winter break we can all hang out again, it'll be nice."
"It would, but winter is a ways off," (name) grinned. "We might have to call Cherry to make leaf piles to jump in at some point."
"Leaf piles?! No way am I doing that!"
The two continued to laugh and talk about their previous experiences as they got closer to the X on the map.
~~~
When (name) was in 6th grade, a blonde haired girl named Cherry moved in. The two girls became close friends despite one coming from poverty and the other from a rich family. Cherry later dyed lower half of her hair a deep magenta and when the two girls got into 9th grade, R moved into (name)'s small community.
He was a senior in high school at the time but only attended afternoon classes because he worked at night and only got sleep in the mornings. It was grueling work and R was very quiet, only speaking on a basis of necessity. Normally responding with nods and glares, it was as if he was unable to speak.
(Name) had seen him in her neighborhood before and she and Cherry eventually convinced R to eat lunch at the same table as them. It was around this time though, that Cherry noticed that he was missing for a whole week.
The two decided to investigate by knocking on R's door until he opened it. Under the boy's eyes were huge bags and he looked exhausted but the girls were unable to help in any way. His old job sacked him and his new job worked him from 10:00am until 2:00am.
They continued to attack his door in the mornings on weekends until eventually R decided to quit his job when the two girls convinced him to find a new job. After searching for a new position where he could use his skills to get paid well while also getting plenty of sleep eventually R, who knew sign language, found a job at the local courts as a court sign language interpreter.
From then on the group went back to eating lunches together, R became more vocal, and over the breaks they hung out.
After R graduated, they trio began to spend their summers investigating the abandoned buildings in the woods opposite of R and (name)'s yards. The group hanging out continued until winter of (name)'s junior year. Cherry got a boyfriend and became distant. R got busy with work. (Name)'s mother's gambling addiction got worse.
And suddenly the group was apart. Even after (name) got a boyfriend in February, R didn't find out until March and only found out about the breakup (also in March) in September.
Cherry still had a boyfriend. R still had work. And (name) still had her parents.
~~~
"It was nice," (name) started. "It was nice seeing you and Cher again after we all disappeared from each other's lives."
"Yeah, now I just need to catch up with Cherry and we will be back up to date," R smiled.
"I saw her at school today and she looked happy, I would've invited her to tag along if I knew you set up a treasure hunt."
"We should all hang out again over a weekend."
"Good idea, also how much further is the treasure? We've been walking for twenty minutes now," (name) groaned.
"We're getting close."
(Name) and R entered a clearing and in the middle were two large sticks creating an X on the floor. (Name) walked around the letter in a circle before picking up the two sticks and moving them over to reveal a small piece of paper.
'Turn Around' she read as she stood back up and shifted to look at R.
"Here," he said, holding a GameBoy cartridge for Pokémon Blue and handing it to (name).
"..." (name) stared at the cartridge before thanking R. I can't let him know I don't have a GameBoy because the one I found belonged to Gold... she put on her best poker face.
"So, which starter are you going to pick?"
"I'm not sure yet."
"Okay, well we finished the treasure hunt now so allow me to escort you home," R chuckled.
"Sure," (name) smirked back.
The two hiked back through the woods before arriving behind (name)'s house.
"I had fun, R. Thank you," (name) waved farewell.
"It's nice to see you smile," R began to walk away. "Next time we have to invite Cherry!"
"Yeah! Bye."
"Bye."
(Name) waited for R to be out of sight before rushing back into the woods. She only had five minutes before she would be late for cards with Gold and Steven.
~~~
R's Perspective
I know that it's wrong to follow her like this but why isn't she going back home?! Why is she going back into the woods?! R silently thought to himself as he quietly followed behind (name).
Maybe she got those cuts from someone in the woods who is blackmailing her or something. He tried to justify as the trees began to thin and reveal an opening.
R ducked down behind the foliage as (name) stopped at a rock and began to talk. "Sorry I'm late, my neighbor insisted on going on a hike with me but I made sure to escort him back to his house before coming here so don't worry, you don't have to strangle anyone to death," (name) said to someone who R couldn't see through the thick brush.
Strangle?! He thought. Also, am I just a neighbor to you (name)? I thought we were friends.
R sat himself on the floor and got comfy as he continued the eavesdrop on the game of cards.
—————
1243 words!
With this chapter we hit a 10,000 total words milestone!!