41

| Korean Words meaning |

Still none, lol.

Anything in regular font = Korean

Anything in Italics = English

Anything in Bold = Spanish

Anything in Bold & Italics = Any other language besides Spanish, Korean, or English

*Was June 29th, Now July 15th*

Ae Cha's POV

It's been fifty days since I've been taken, over a month of being declared missing. By now the police have probably reported me dead but I wouldn't know, so tucked away from the living world that surrounds me but I can't reach. If there was once a search for me, it has been stopped, I can bet on it. Media coverage about me was likely skimmed by, I was no longer an interest to viewers.
But, sadly, I was still alive. Im still missing, locked away. The irony isn't lost on me as I sit in the living room watching the morning news. Not even a pop-up or speeding-by caption passes by the screen as the white woman with the overly bright Colgate smile discusses in a way to eager manner about grocery tax to a man with a sneer news reporter smile and face. Both were too disinterested to talk about all the missing and dead little girls, they veered talking about them because stories of the latest fashion trends on Instagram and a puppy drive in a few days were deemed more important than any missing kid.
The anger and feeling of hate I feel every morning watching them flares up but I however don't react, I never do. I just sit and wait.

"Ae Cha, breakfast." Bongseon calls from the kitchen that is wafting a greasy and doughy smell through the tiny home. I leave the news on and walk away from the faces of the uncaring new reporters, hoping maybe one day they'll have a change of heart and begin speaking about my disappearance. They won't however, that's why Bongseon allows me to watch the news now. Because she knows no one cares about me being missing anymore.
She grows confident with this reinsurance every morning.
Bongseon is cooking away, carefree and relaxed, boiling meat and flipping pancakes. A daily occurrence and routine for us now. I keep my bitterness rippling in the back of my throat, biting my tongue with a smile. Used to the games of niceties we play.
No hitting, no starving, and no vulgarity have occurred between us for weeks. She spoils me, Im on guard playing the part of a grateful guest, she's a gracious host. Life is dismal and scripted and I grow weary with every passing day stuck in this place. I take my now regular spot at the table, dressed and prepared for another day of holding back vile insults and slander. She flies the pancake up once more, I push back my sneer as she turns to face me, fresh plates full of hot meals in her hands. "This looks wonderful, thanks" I speak chipperly as she takes her familiar spot across from me, staring at me with those eyes that sag and refill every now and again. Today she seems upbeat, her eyes are focused on me and not just looking at me with one of those thousand-yard stares. Today seems like it may be more intact for her, good news for her, bad for me. She returns a smile as she places our breakfast in a rather aesthetically pleasing fashion on the table.
"Of course, anything for my girl" she coos. I keep grinning but the voice in the back of my head is screaming in agony and the other voice is chanting "You got her, you got her, you got her."
I'm fitting into Bongseon's game of house nicely.
Us. Smiles and small chit-chat. As if this shared arrangement is normal. She talks about the weather, and I over-enthusiastically agree. She talks about books, I babble on about my current reads.
I imagine the sensation of me clawing her eyes out with my overgrown nails yet again this morning, the anger that would burst out of me would be like releasing a bull from its pen during a rodeo. It's a sickening fantasy but compare to the one I had a few days ago of me tying her to her bed and setting her on fire and watching the blaze melt away all of her skin, and bones, in comparison, this thought is more mild.
Life is a systematic routine and every day the harshness of reality and escaping seems to become less of a worry to her.
Maybe that's why, Bongseon ultimately ends up making the biggest slip-up of her life and maybe that's why my fake persona almost broke in pieces from the out-pocket maneuver she pulls. Finally, some change up. Maybe today wasn't a good day for her after all.
"Ae Cha. I need to go to the store after work today." She says.
"Okay, want me to prep for dinner before you get home?"
I ask, my persona still charming as she demands.
"No, I was just wondering if you wanted to join me."
I'm silenced. Baffled by her invitation.
She has made a crucial slip-up. I can tell she regrets it the moment it rolls off her lips but it's been said. I'm muted, stunned I didn't even think of a reply for a moment like this. She seems soured by my pause, she goes to open her mouth probably to revoke the invitation but I'm able to regain myself.
"That would be nice, there are some things I've been needing to get" I swoop in and save myself, trying to keep my silent celebration of almost freedom to myself but I'm fighting to keep my legs from bouncing in sweet bliss. Bongseon gives me an uncomfortable but polite hum.
"Then it's set" and I can tell she rues it all but it's too late. I won't let her back down from her mistake. I didn't respond too eagerly, I played it off that my intentions were pure; that Im her plaything still but I can tell me even accepting this has put a waiver on the fake game of house we play. The tension in the air is undoubtedly uncomfortable, Im aware of it, but I don't show that Im scared and that Im plotting. I will play the part if I must, after all my hard work I can not let her trust for me settling in be lost. I smile at her, she smiles back.