31

| Korean Words meaning |

Still none, lol.

Anything in regular font = Korean

Anything in Italics = English

Anything in Bold = Spanish

Anything in Bold & Italics = Any other language besides Spanish, Korean, or English

Trigger Warning!! Use of Hate Speech

*Flash Back to the Night of Ae Cha's middle school graduation.*

I busied myself with packing, preparing for the significant night ahead. The other girls were occupied, each engrossed in their own activities, eagerly anticipating the end of their schooling journey. For most of them, it marked the beginning of a new chapter. In contrast, I was contentedly arranging my belongings. Unlike my peers, I didn't have any pressing matters to attend to or anyone to bid farewell to.

Among all the girls at this school, these four were the ones I had truly connected with. No one else seemed interested in befriending a foreign girl who, despite her appearance, struggled with the intricacies of the Korean language. However, Mi-ok, Soo Yun, Myung Hee, and Mishil didn't care about my imperfect Korean or my mother's former celebrity status. They accepted me for who I was, flaws and all. It was bittersweet knowing that after tonight, our paths would diverge, each of us heading in different directions to chase our dreams in the entertainment world. But for now, we were determined to make the most of this night, celebrating our friendship outside the confines of this school, free from the demands of practice and the watchful eyes of our teachers.

I carefully folded my clothes, maximizing the use of space in my suitcase. While I would be spending the summer here, this suitcase represented my ticket to the next step in pursuing my dreams with my mother's company.

As I stood on my bed, folding clothes, the sound of laughter and excited chatter filled the air just outside my dorm. It was the end of another school year, and many of the girls were preparing to graduate to the next phase of their formal training in the entertainment industry. Conversations about auditions at prestigious idol companies and building portfolios for renowned movie studios echoed through the corridors. This school had produced numerous successful idols, actresses, entertainers, and singers, and it was both an honor and a bit surreal to count myself among them.

The day was drawing to a close, the sun beginning its descent even though it was only approaching five in the evening. I still had about an hour until we could all meet up. With all my clothes neatly packed away except for the red sundress hanging by the door, I couldn't help but smile as I surveyed my nearly empty room.

"One step closer" I whispered to myself, my hand resting on my amulet, a newfound sense of pride swelling within me. If only my mother could see me now.

Just then, a familiar voice echoed in the hallway outside my dorm. "Okay, see you later!" a high-pitched voice exclaimed.

It was Mishil.

Her voice alone made my heart leap up into my throat, my body felt warmed just thinking of the essence of her. If she knew this, how would she feel?
I was a friend to her, she treated me as such. I wanted to believe that's what I felt too. Just a very strong feeling of friendship for a friend. But I knew it wasn't true, one day I was seeing her as my dorky, overly affectionate friend who was always very confident. Never taking no as the final word.

She went from a girl I could always trust to be my side companion to a girl whose whole being swarmed my every thought and desire.  I wanted to always be with her, holding her, talking to her. I wanted to know everything about her. I wanted to know why she always craved pickled beets late in the night after not getting enough sleep and laughing hysterically. I wanted to know about her favorite sweater that was bought for her all the way back in 5th grade by her grandma during a trip to Jeju Island. I loved that story as almost as I loved seeing her try to put on the sweater that was two times too small and was now too tight and had to be worn as a crop top but it didn't stop her from wearing it whenever she had the chance to.