Chapter 21

"Hello guys, its me of course" I said with a happy dance, the guys all laugh. "Yes, so this is the history on this place" Sam said and I nodded as he pointed for me to explain.

"Tonight we are here at Brushy Mountain State Penitentiary in Petros, Tennessee. This Pen. opened in 1896 after it was once a coal mining, and rail road site that was destroyed in the Coal Creek War. While in the prison, the inmates still had to build on-site railroad spurs, as well as the original wooden prison frame with their bare hands. Life inside Brushy was precarious because of the ongoing violence, illnesses, and mining accidents. Disease's at Brushy were rampant, including tuberculosis, thyroid fever, pneumonia, and syphilis.   Many people were beat to death not regarding their health. In 1931, Brushy housed 976 men- 300 more than the capacity. This was a four story, concrete building with a 18-foot stone wall around the structure. Brushy held the most dangerous, violent criminals when they couldn't be held anywhere else. In 1969, Brushy was reclassified as a maximum security prison. They would call it 'The End of The Line'. When I mentioned the most dangerous criminals, I meant that James Earl Ray, the assassin who killed Martin Luther King Jr. was held here. He tried 3 different ways to escape and only one plan worked... well only for a while. On June 10th of 1977, Ray and 6 others escaped by planning this escape for a while, creating a ladder out of pipe used for working. Once they succeeded they went out and escaped and were out until June 13th 1977. Ray was only a few miles away from the prison when hound dogs found him. He was taken back to the prison and in 1981, though he survived, Ray was stabbed 22 times by some inmates who hated what he did. In 1992, Ray left Brushy and only 6 years later, he died in Nashville's facility. Out on this property, there are more buildings such as, the bath house, the high security annex, etc. also a cemetery that sits high up on a hill near here. Now, Brushy ate Tennessee's sins for 113 years. It bore witness to terrible sadness and awful violence. It provided hard lessons and good jobs. More than anything, it created a legend and its legacy that will continue to echo across this country and its history." I said and they guys all looked at me.

"And... we did not know she knew that much about this place" Jake said as the rest of them nodded. I let out a laugh and Colby grabbed the camera. "So you guys know of course we have our equipment to see if anything is here with us" He said.

"Yes, we have the rem-pod, music box, flashlights, a speaker to play the speech in cell 28, we will tell you guys that later don't worry, we have the emf reader and we also brought the onvoy to talk to them" Corey said to the camera.

"Where do you guys want to start the investigation?" Sam asked and Jake spoke up. "I think we should start off with cell 28 to trigger Ray" he said and I nodded.

"Good idea, lets head there" Colby said as we started walking. We had to walk down a few hallways from the warden's office/room to get there.

"So, you think we will talk to someone tonight?" I asked and they all nodded their heads in unison. "Im sure we will, this is a very active place" Jake said and I agreed.

When we got there, Colby handed Jake the camera as we set up equipment around the cell. "So we put the music box that detects motion in the hallway just incase anything decides to creep up on us" Colby said causing me to laugh at his face.

"The onvoy will be sitting on the cell bed next to whoever sits there, the rem- pod is in the middle of the room. We have a emf reader that Colby will be holding and a flashlight will be sitting on the sink. Also, the speaker will be on the ground" Sam said to the camera.

I sat down on the bed as everyone got into frame, Jake said on the other side of the onvoy.

"Someone ask the first question, how about Y/n" Sam said and I nodded. "Are there any spirits here with us?" I asked and there was no answer.