- Chapter Thirteen

Brianna pov : Chapter Thirteen

I contort my eyes away from the wide window to the stacks of paper that should have been on the desk but was now casters all across the floor. "These kids," I mumbled picking them up. The office looked the same as I remembered.

Only difference was I couldn't look up to see my mother's chocolate-brown eyes staring at me especially when I made too much noise.

I sighed, picking up my phone when I finally got a text back from Kemar.

Kemar🤓🥰

Baby, you awake?
6:41

Kemar, Are you okay?
9:12

Yeah, Bri I'm ight

Well what happened

I had like two more drinks
after you left. I guess it was
a slow ass night. I'm home now.

Most of it is a blur but I'm
home and safe. Nothing
crazy happened, they were
probably wrong about
someone on my ass.
Okay, that's good. You have
any idea who it was?

As I waited for his reply both Lily and Adam, two kids came running in. I placed my phone down making sure they don't touch more of the unbalanced papers. "Hi Ms. Bri," Adam came over hugging me.

"Hi, little man. You didn't just wake up did you?" He happily shook his head. No, Ms. Nadia let us watch tv after breakfast.

"Well that's good, how about you lily?" I turned to her seeing she was eyeing the box of snacks I had. I furrowed my eyebrows. "Did y'all already have a snack?" I looked at the two of them.

"No." "Yes," they both looked at each other after answering at the same time. I smiled, moving the box to my desk, "so which one of you are lying?" I joked, obviously knowing Lily just wanted another one.

Today was supposed to be my "off" day, I guess. I decided to take a break from everything and visit my mother's old job. She was a social worker that was prominent at school, foster homes, and orphanages, helping out in any way she could. I would usually drop in from time to time. But with things getting heated these last few years I had been missing out.

I was in New York anyways so I made the stop. When I glanced at Lily she was playing with her fingers and looking down, "I meant to say yes," she mumbled softly.

Before I could respond a sharp knock at the door interrupted me.

"Both of you stay on the couch," I pointed to the both of them after giving them the leftover snacks from downstairs.

I wasn't surprised to see Ms. Tracy at the door. She was wearing a simple long black dress with a jean jacket over it. "Good morning Bri. I was just wondering if Ms. Gale gave you the news on Adam and Lily?" The whispered.

My eyebrows furrowed in confusion. I stepped out the door a little bit so the kids couldn't hear us. "He didn't. What about them."

Suddenly a smile formed on her face. "Remember the family that met with her two months? They want to adopt her."

My eyes lit up, "Michael and Railey!" I shouted. Ms. Railey was my old middle school teacher. When they came to this facility interested in adopting, I wasn't surprised. It was no secret that she wasn't able to have kids nor that she had a big heart.

"Oh my god. I knew something was up when they kept checking in on her. I had my fingers crossed for this." My hand cupped my mouth. "Okay, this is good," I mumbled. "And Adam."

This time her smile was so big I was scared to hear what happened. "Actually I've decided to take him in," she mumbled. My jaw dropped causing her to let out a loud laugh. "He is gonna be so happy!" I practically jumped up and down. "You have no idea," she muttered.