Chapter 128

Edmund's mimicry wavered, letting me know that what I said came as a surprise.

He spoke to me with a calm expression, but it was easy to guess that he was now very nervous.

How could he not feel awkward in front of the one who suddenly overtook his mother and took the place of the empress?

I would not find it strange even if he showed me hostility.

And although I was also confused, I still asked my question.

I should have known exactly with what heart Edmund came to this place.

"In fact, my surprise was only a fraction. I already knew that my father was waiting for someone. I have heard rumors that it is forbidden to touch the empress's palace even with a finger, "Edmund said calmly.

"Right."

"And thanks to the whole series of events, I found out that I now have a younger brother."

Edmund smiled awkwardly.

It was a mixture of tension and awkwardness, but Edmund did not hide his gaze.

I felt uncomfortable in this new unfamiliar role.

I'd rather he openly hate me.

Why all of a sudden such discomfort?

I hated their house so much that I considered options for killing Lisa, but the prince in front of me was just a boy who had not even reached the age of majority.

And I was puffed up to take away his position in favor of Carlisle.

His house is about to collapse.

And there was no guarantee that Edmund would survive.

It seemed that a heavy stone was pressing on my chest. But now everything has become irreversible.

"Thanks for these words. But I don't think that everything will be as smooth in the future."

The first prince was a sensible child, not like his peers.

Even if he did not know the details of the struggle for power or aspects of power itself, he should know that the empress and his mother have no choice but to resist.

I could have treated Edmund with a pretense of kindness, but I didn't want to offend him with false feelings.

The first prince's expression turned embarrassed, as if he understood what I was talking about.

But soon he only smiled.

"I understand everything. The Imperial Palace will forever be such a place. And even after such words, I know - Her Majesty is not a bad person."

His speech is so unlike his age.

My heart felt even harder, because I guessed what exactly this child had grown up from so soon.

And while that would be controversial, when we destroy Marquis Sios, I would like to leave Edmund alive.

Because Edmund was innocent.

Later you will hate me, but I didn't want to sacrifice the lives of children in adult fights.

"Thank you for understanding."

He blinked slowly, looking at me with a puzzled expression.

"Ah... Hmm, yes..."

Not knowing what to say, Edmund mumbled.

At this time, I heard someone approaching the table.

Carlisle appeared by the hand with the maid. Neatly dressed in a shirt and trousers, he smiled, but did not rush into my arms, as was usual.