Chapter 58

Returning to the main palace and his own study, Raymond turned to the butler.

"Marquis Paren left for his estate?"

He completely forgot Paren's very existence when he hurried out of the office.

At that moment, he did not notice anyone or anything around him.

Now, since sunset was already approaching, the emperor thought that tomorrow he should summon the marquis to a new audience, and was going to send a small gift to him on the estate.

However, the butler's answer did not match Raymond's suggestion.

"No. He is still waiting for Your Majesty in the office."

"Still... waiting."

Raymond entered his office, wearing a mask of indifference on his face, which after all was colored with complex emotions.

Marquis Paren, who was sitting on the sofa, got up and tried to say hello to him.

"Everything is fine. Please sit.

Raymond said. When the marquis sat down, the butler placed hot tea in front of them.

Instead of reaching for the cup, the emperor turned his head to the marquis.

"I'm sorry to have kept you waiting. I went to ... I was very busy. "

"I was just waiting here for Your Majesty. Is something wrong? "

Marquis Paren looked at Raymond innocently, as if he couldn't add two plus two. Raymond laughed.

"Nothing happened. I said without thinking."

"So, can I report on the process now?"

"Speak."

"The testimony of Count Barten's servant saved the duke from the chopping block. According to the servant, Count Barten and Viscount Metas conspired to frame the duke, and Count Barten partially pleaded guilty."

"Partially?"

"Exactly. The count admitted that he had slandered the duke, but stated that everything had happened under the blackmail of Viscount Metas."

"Was the Count threatened by a simple viscount?"

"I also can't believe that one simple viscount threatened the count, but Viscount Metas is still dead ... The servant also said that he had never heard Count Barten directly declare how eager he was to deal with the duke."

Raymond frowned.

On the positive side, the duke's innocence was established, but in the end it was annoying that the thread was cut off on the murdered Metas.

It makes no sense that the Count was threatened by the Viscount, and it makes no sense that this was all planned by Viscount Metas and Count Barten.

"What did Count Barten do? How did he confess?"

"He screamed, cried and crawled on the floor. He insisted that he was threatened, that he could not do anything, but... he did not deny his involvement. It looked as if he was going to court, ready to confess."

The confession of this fool only reinforced the belief in his role as only a humble performer.

Count Barten would never have thought of such a thing.

Marquis Sios.

Did you smell the catch in advance and surrender a pawn to me?

If so, it will not be easy to bring the Marquis to justice.