Chapter 61

It was still a burden for me to look him in the face and not feel anything.

Having been a victim of unrequited love for so long, it would be a lie to say that I remained completely insensitive to our reunion with him.

So, in order to ignore him as naturally as possible, I had to gather all my will into a fist.

If he gets angry with my manners, he will immediately kick me out of here. It is even for the best. It would be nice to get out of this stuffy place as soon as possible.

But Raymond wasn't angry.

For a while, he just stared at me in silence.

His eyes were persistent, apparently, he was trying to look right through me and catch my intentions.

Obviously, I couldn't be friends with him anymore. I drew a line and left. Did he think that everything would return to the same when I got back?

So he opened his mouth, looking at me with his tenacious eyes.

"The reason I asked you to come here is to discuss the outcome of the trial and future events. Before, I talked directly with the Duke, but ... he is now in disrepair."

"Exactly. I've taken over all of my father's work, so just contact me."

"Yesterday's court proved the duke's innocence, so all the seized property of the duke will be released tomorrow."

"Tomorrow?"

It was expected that it would take another three to four days to free the frozen.

This is due to the fact that the process of processing each document and obtaining approval has always been rather complicated.

It seems that he personally ordered to speed up the process.

"Thank you for your attention, sire."

"And today the imperial family will officially declare the innocence of the Duke of Croft. Duke Croft, who, being slandered, still did not run away due to a strong sense of responsibility, even when he was on the verge of execution."

"Yes?"

I opened my eyes in surprise.

"Sire. If you make such a statement, there could be rumors of favoritism."

All decisions of the emperor must be fair, at least on the surface.

The mere postponement of the trial gave rise to talk of "special treatment."

But if you make such a pretentious announcement ... Raymond's reputation won't be good.

A slight smile appeared on Raymond's lips.

"Hmm... Are you worried about me now?"

I was confused for a moment.

I'm worry?

"No. I just..."

"What only? If your only concern is for the well-being of the duke, then nothing will be lost from my official statement from your family. On the contrary, this will be the best way to regain the prestige lost by the duke."

And Raymond was right.

He looked at me embarrassedly and gently lifted the corners of his lips. This smile made me come to my senses.

He almost managed to fool me.

"I just thought my father wouldn't want that. The Duke is not the kind of person who obstructs His Majesty for his own benefit."