Chapter 119

He, too, knew whose child Carlisle was.

Ellie must have told him.

Raymond couldn't brush off that feeling of vulnerability to the man in front of him.

It was sad that Ellie believed in Jeremy more than in himself, and that Carlisle liked this man better.

"Your Majesty, Lady Croft only wishes to protect her child."

"Shut up."

Raymond's gaze quickly grew fierce.

"You have no right to Carlisle."

Jeremy stopped abruptly, as if the beast in front of him had bared its teeth.

After all, Raymond was right.

He and Ellie are just friends.

Jeremy lowered his gaze, hiding the seething inside.

"I apologize. I've crossed the line."

Although he saw sparks flash in his eyes, Raymond no longer wanted to hear Jeremy cover Ellie.

"The death of Duke Drua is more important now."

They did not get a single proof to link Marquis Sios with this incident.

This is what was most important.

It was long overdue to send Carter on a courtesy call to the Drua estate and get everything out of there cleaned up.

Raymond knew better than anyone that this was impossible, although for a moment he regretted it.

It was illegal to arrest and question the Duke in the absence of hard evidence.

The suspicions were not unfounded, but they were lacking.

Thus, the mercenaries were first interrogated.

Just to get an equally useless testimony that pointed to a pitiful pawn.

The reaction from Sios came out so briskly, now it was obvious that Sios left his eyes next to the burning mansion.

Otherwise, he would not have made a hasty decision to remove Duke Drua.

Raymond couldn't hide his irritation and rubbed his face roughly with his hand.

Later, with a calm sigh, he tried to force his confused thoughts into order.

"Everything has already happened ..."

Duke Drua, one of the hydra's heads in the form of Sios, was sacrificed.

But that doesn't mean we won't cut down the rest.

Even if Duke Drua is dead, further investigation may reveal at least little evidence of Marquis Sios.

The problem is that it took time.

Duke Drua is dead and the empire has a new prince.

We cannot hide it all from the crowd.

Now all sorts of sins will be hanged on the deceased Drua.

The nobles will pay more attention to Carlisle, and the name of Sios will sound here and there.

"I need to say something..."

While the emperor was looking for a way to play for time, Jeremy caught his attention.

"Sire... I brought the ledger."

It contained the names of the noble houses that sent money to Duke Drua, and the amount of money.