Chapter 22

"This invitation came straight to my name. It would be impolite to refuse."

Ignoring such an invitation was like insulting the sender's family.

So I was curious who was behind the invitation: the Marquis of Sios or Lisa?

I will know as soon as I get there.

If Lisa didn't know, she would be very surprised to see me on the doorstep.

I returned the invitation to Helen and said:

"Tell the butler I'm going to the Marquis's party tomorrow."

"Yes Milady."

After Helen left the room, I lay down on the bed. Fatigue hit me in the head.

"Milady, would you like to get some ruby earrings? Or are pomegranates better?" the maid asked.

"I want ruby ones."

"It will be done, milady."

Ruby seemed to fit my curled hair better.

Then the maid put down her pomegranate earring and carefully put on the ruby one.

Finally, all the preparations were completed.

The young maid who was helping me with my clothes looked at me and smiled.

"My lady, you are so beautiful."

It's been a long time since I have seen such pure and naive eyes as hers.

I looked at myself in the mirror.

Today's hairstyle was no longer like that of an empress, but like before the wedding.

Silver wavy hair and bright makeup.

Purple dress. The colors of my eyes.

I smiled with satisfaction. My reflection seemed to take me back to the past, even before marriage. And then I heard a knock on the door.

"Ellie, it's me."

"Come in, father."

When my father entered the room, he saw me and froze.

"How pretty."

"Thanks."

"Are you going right now?"

"Yes. Even if I leave now... I will not be late."

"Okay... It would be great if I could go with you, but something happened today... I'm sorry."

My father couldn't go to the party with me because something happened on the estate he was managing.

"It's okay, I won't go there for long."

"Yes yes. In any case, you will soon be sailing across the seas, so you won't have to deal with them anymore. And I have already booked a seat on the ship."

"I need to hurry. We'll talk later."

I walked to the carriage.

After an eternity, the carriage stopped with neighing horses.

"Milady, we arrived."

"Good."

Coming out of the carriage, I stood motionless, looking at the festive hall of the Marquis of Sios, from where bright lights streamed.

I was once in this banquet hall with Raymond.

Before our eyes there was still a stage where we walked, holding hands, along these stairs and towards the hall.