Chapter 37

Fortunately or not, Carlisle didn't wait for my answer and eventually fell asleep.

"I'm sorry your mom couldn't give an honest answer."

It was my desire to erase his father's existence, but at the same time I was sorry to do it.

"Instead, your mom will love you more."

Carlisle flinched slightly. I let go of his hand and pulled the blanket up to my neck.

I turned off the magic light in the room, lit a candle, sat down by the bed and patted the baby on the chest.

Soon after, an even sound of breathing was heard in the quiet room.

As I watched Carlisle in deep sleep, I let out a sigh, which I held back for a long time.

"... Father."

[The Duke Croft is currently in custody at his estate and is likely to face trial in the near future. If he cannot prove his innocence, accused of fraud and embezzlement, he may be stripped of his title, as well as confiscated all his property, and sold him as a slave.]

It is not enough to simply take away his title, they wanted to make him a slave.

In addition to the shock, an irresistible anger flared up inside me against an as yet unknown enemy.

There were quite a few reports in the newspapers about my father's conspiracy with a representative of that desert kingdom.

There was more than enough evidence of my father's guilt, but I know the truth very well.

That my father would never accept a bribe. And that there was no way to steal advance payments.

After I became empress, he even turned down my birthday present, saying it would look like nepotism.

However, looking at the current situation, my father clearly found it difficult to avoid punishment.

By order of the emperor, the father was locked in his own estate.

"Raymond..."

Does he really suspect my father?

"...No he can not."

Others may not know, but Raymond saw everything with his own eyes. He knew my father as well as I knew myself.

But Raymond won't be able to hide it for ages.

Right now, there was a huge hole in the budget for next year.

The nobles who paid the most taxes will never be silent, and Raymond cannot keep my father.

"...What should I do."

The only thing now is clear: I must return to the empire to save my father. It's time to go back and get him out at any cost. I hated myself for hesitation, even though I knew perfectly well what would be right and what would not.

If I were alone, I would already be on a ship to the shores of the empire, but now I am not alone.

I had Carlisle.

A child who was as precious to me as my father.

If Raymond hadn't been looking for me, I could have gone to the empire for a while. But for some reason he would not let me go.

In this situation, if I float to the empire, I cannot easily return.

So, if I'm going to the empire, Carlisle should be by my side.

I could not leave my child alone, because without me something could have happened.

"...If I get caught?"