Becoming Ashes

Kiara pov: "what do you think Bae is doing Ollie?" I questioned

"Who cares?" Ollie said.
I really was sensing hostility from Ollie, but it was definitely pent up aggression, as she said. What the hell did Bae do to set her off like this?

"What if Bae dies?" I asked.

"Then she's dead, who cares?" Ollie asked.
"But she's your daughter..." I said

"I have Calli..." Ollie stated ending that conversation then and there

"Look Kiara, the crystals!" Ollie said now in a good mood, she went to grab one but couldn't pull it out.

"Kiara, it's too wedged into the wall," Ollie said, so I tossed her a pick to try to break it out.

She went to hit it with the pick and it dissipated, "Well, that was as useful as Bae..." Ollie sighed.

"Uhmm, well I don't know what to try now." I said, trying to ponder what to do. I tried to think if Mumei had ever told me about this specific radioactive ore.

She has told me the many uses of radioactive substances and how to exterminate whole populations with them, which was concerning because she definitely was making a super weapon...

"Ollie, I'll help you," I stated, coming closer.

"No, you'll die!" Ollie shouted.

I didn't listen. I grabbed her arm and the ore from behind and yanked as my arm started to crack. "Owch!" I yelled, tightening my grip. I pulled myself back, trying to yank it out.

"Ollie pull!" I yelled

"Okay!" She said yanking as hard as she could, her body began to fall apart.

"Damn it, hold on Ollie!" I said, using my free hand to put her back together. My body was falling apart I thought about how much time I had and estimated only twenty seconds. I yanked on the last time as hard as I could, disloging the ore without tearing Ollie's arms off. I then stumbled back

"Fuck..." I said, as the cracks reached the rest of my body, I began to fade away into nothingness.

I didn't know what was going on but for some reason I was still conscious even though I was ash. This has never happened before. I began questioning when I was going to die but I didn't

A little bit later, I felt myself getting scooped up and placed into a jar, so Ollie decided to contain my ashes How thoughtful

Suddenly, I felt something happening to my body. I began to reform and before I knew it, I was back to normal, but I felt more powerful for some reason.

"What?" Ollie said in surprise that she was thankful that she didn't have to explain this to Calli.

I immediately pulled my phone out and called Mumei, who immediately picked up.
"Hello Kiara, what do you need?" Mumei asked.

"What happens if you touch the radioactive ore in the underworld?" I asked.

"Why did Bae, Irys, or Calli touch it?" She asked

"No they didn't." I told her.

"That's a damn shame..." She said, sounding disappointed.

"Mumei, I touched it," I said.

"Oh don't worry then, when you touch it you gain a significant boost, but it also gives you like stage eighty cancer, which kills you instantly." Mumei laughed

"Wait, so I'm fine?" I said

"Yeah 100%, please make sure to touch one of those three with it though," Mumei said.

"I'm not doing that and also, why did you
make that?" I questioned

"For shits and giggles, who cares?" Mumei said

She did have a point I didn't care. I wasn't going to die permanently. I wouldn't have to start anew. I just had to be stronger now apparently.

"Anyway, love you," Mumei said, adding that she was feeling particularly affectionate today.

"Love you too!" I said before hanging up.

"So will you be okay?" Ollie asked

"Looks like it," I stated, but it was best for me not to touch it again, so I had Ollie carry the bag just to be safe.

We brought it to the others just in the nick of time. "Wow, I'm impressed Mom, you did a phenomenal job." Calli said as Ollie put the ore in place.

"Let's boot this puppy up," Calli said, trying to turn the machine on but it refused to start.

"Someone chewed the cord!" Towa yelled, and everyone glared at Bae.

"Why..." Calli began to say.

"Why what?" Bae asked.

"Why the fuck did you chew the cord?" Calli asked.

"I didn't!" Bae stated

Calli rummaged through her pocket and pulled out a pocket watch. "I stole this from Ame. We'll see if you're telling the truth in a minute," Calli sighed.

"Wait, I did do it okay. I'm sorry!" Bae shouted Calli began to laugh.

"I know you did..." Calli said, dropping the watch and stomping on it.

"Hey, Watson would want that!" Bae yelled

"No she wouldn't, that was a decoy..." Calli said.

"You know what we're going to do to you, Bae?" Irys asked.

"W-what?" Bae barely managed to say anything over her quivering lips.

"We will make you take responsibility and buy a new one." Irys said, tossing her wallet to Bae.

"Huh?" She said it in confusion.

"Bae, we trust you to go alone. Don't make us regret this," Ollie said.

"Honestly, Calli and I should go with her just in case," I said, snatching the wallet from her.

"Hey, that's mine!" Bae shouted

"Look, we'll give it to you once we get to the store," Calli said.

The three of us made our way to the nearest store to get a new cord for the gate.
We needed a long cord that was also thick and sturdy, just in case another rat tried to bite into it.

It had been awhile since I went to the underworld store. The last time was with Calli, so I wondered what had changed. I was wondering if I even knew the underworld anymore how different did it get since the last time I was here?