Phoenix and Civilization

Kiara pov: It had been four months since I had forgotten about Calli and I had never been happier. I had decided to live my life to the fullest instead of constantly dying due to a one-sided love.

I watched as an owl landed on the balcony and transformed into it's human form. "Oh hi, senpai!" she said as she walked into our shared home.

"Mumei, please don't call me senpai..." I sighed. It was weird since it could be debated which of us came first. "I forgot," she giggled, looking around the room.

"I see Subaru-senpai, Reine-senpai, and Lui-nee aren't home yet." Mumei said, sitting down at the table and pouring herself some water.

Her golden-brown eyes stared at me as I took a sip of my drink. "So how was work?" I asked as Mumei grew a sadistic grin on her face.

"I spread some illness across the world, just enough to make people worry." Mumei said happily something that has always scared me about her

"You haven't gone to the underworld in a while," she said as she picked up a knife. "I talked to Calli's little sister. She said she misses you." Mumei said as she stabbed into the table.

"Calli can go burn in hell for all I care." I scoffed, as Mumei broke out in laughter.

"You are so silly. She lives in Hell, so how can she burn in it? "she said hysterically, as tears began to form in her eyes. She really found that funny.

"I've moved on from Calli. I'm not in love with her anymore." I told Mumei, and she nodded while finishing up her water.

"Who are you in love with now?" She asked that wasn't something I had thought about until now.

"I don't know." I said, and I saw a cheeky smile appear on her face, "Are you in love with chickens since you are one?" She asked while trying not to burst out laughing.

"Do you want to go to the usual room?" I playfully growled. Mumei rapidly nodded. I had forgotten she is a masochist.

I thought about the words Calli had said to me back then, about how no one had ever loved me. That wasn't far from the truth. Only Mumei knows what my childhood was like. I never knew my mother or my father. I was abandoned when I was three and forced to fend for myself for eternity.

I was hoping I could feel the sweet embrace of death, but it never came. I was burdened with life. It seems like that is the only thing that loved me.

Even if Calli hates me, I can still find the representation of life and fall in love with her. She must be beautiful since she would be a lively girl.

"KIARA!" Mumei shouted, snapping me out of my trance, "I have a meeting later today. Do you want to come? " I gave it some thought and decided why not, so I accepted her offer.

Mumei isn't known to be particularly powerful, but that was just a facade. She has all of council wrapped around her hand. She is truly terrifying.

"Mumei-senpai!" said a hawk as it flew inside and changed into human form, immediately clinging to the brown-haired girl.

"Hi Lui," I said, but the girl seemed to ignore me as she continued to give Mumei affection.

"Why do you like Mumei so much? Aren't you dating Chloe?" I asked Lui, shaking her head

"Chloe doesn't bathe, she is stinky." Lui said, sounding grossed out.

That had to be an excuse because I've met Chloe before and she smelled fine to me, and from what I have heard, Lui and Chloe seem close; they rarely spend time apart.

Reine walked into the room already in her human form and sighed so we would be aware of her presence. "Look, it's the turkey!" Mumei said, laughing.

"I'm a peafowl," Reine groaned as she sank onto the couch, looking depressed.

"I assume your date went poorly," I said, and the girl nodded, annoyed with everything

"Birds can't find love, huh?" Mumei said Reine just glared at her.

"I don't want to hear that from you, Mumei!" Reine said, knowing what Mumei's life was like

"I'm sure you'll find someone since your beautiful Reine," I said, wishing I was a peafowl like her.

"I'm back, everyone." Subaru quacked as she tossed us the confectionaries she bought.

"Thank you, Subaru-senpai!" We all said it in unison as we started to eat the treats.

"Kiara, I've been thinking: do you think you may have hurt Calli when you stopped going to the underworld?" Reine asked. I didn't know why I should care.

"She hurt me. She knew I was alone and vulnerable, and she preyed on me. I fell victim to her scythe too much!" I said as I felt around my stomach. Calli somehow left a permanent scar on my body.

"That's your fault for falling for her in the first place." Mumei sighed. I couldn't tell if she was mocking me or not.

"She made me feel needed when she said she wanted to kill me." I said, for some reason, I was on the verge of tears.

Mumei quickly changed the subject seeing how sad I now was "Reine I have a meeting later wanna come?" She asked

"Why would I want to do that?" She asked, Mumei just laughed.

"We have a bunch of human sacrifices lined up. I'll allow you to pick one woman to spare and you can date her." Mumei laughed. We all looked in shock.

"Human sacrifices!" Subaru yelled. Mumei looked at her, wondering why that was weird.

"It's only a measly two hundred humans. I wanted to sacrifice two thousand," Mumei giggled.

"Well, we should probably head out. It's about time." Mumei sighed while standing up, "Let's go, Kiara, Reine, and Lui-nee, you're in charge." Mumei said, leaving the room.

Reine and I got up and followed Mumei. I was nervous and couldn't believe I was about to meet the council.