Chapter 91|| The Summer of '80

It had roughly been a year since Lily had told us all that her and James were going to get engaged and a lot had happened since then. Remus had done multiple dangerous missions with the werewolves - all instigated by Dumbledore. Each time he left; the group became ten times more nervous than we usually would. Remus had also tried dating but after a few weeks they had broken up because of 'complicated reasons'.

In addition to the dating news, Dorcas and Marlene were caught having a suggestive meeting in Lily and James' new kitchen. After the general shock that everyone had felt when they found out, our friend group became accustomed to the D&M's PDA. James however had banned any kissing from his household he had bought for Lily, unless it was the two of them. 

He said it ruined his partially virgin eyes.

The final important thing that had happened was that Sirius and I had moved in together in an apartment in London, which we were sad about at first because we were the surprisingly the last to leave Euphemia and Fleamont. However, when we had bought and decorated the apartment to our high standards, we invited them around every other Saturday along with the rest of our friends for an 'end of the working week' get together.

Speaking of the working, James, Sirius and Alice all became aurors late last year, Lily started working in St Mungo's early 1980, Marlene had worked for Madam Malkin's as soon as she left Hogwarts, Aafiya became a sort of understudy for Flitwick in the Charms department, and a few months ago, I started to work for the Department of Law Enforcement, which was a very full-on job.

However, we still found time for each other, and that was how we all found a day that could suit us all to have off. The day for James and Lily's wedding, the day where we would all be emotional, watch our best friends get married and then get drunk at the after party. It would also have to be a warm day so that the two could get married outside, like they had wanted to all those months ago.

Lily was sat before the wedding in her bedroom, sat on her chair in front of her desk, us girls surrounding her, watching as she fixed up her hair. Today was the day that Miss would become a Mrs and she would be bound legally to James Potter, which would be both the best and the worst decision of their lives. Marlene had also warned Lily many times before that in the relationship it wouldn't be just the two of them, but Sirius too.

"Are you nervous?" Alice asked, fiddling with her own ring on her finger. Alice and Frank had a small wedding around three months after we had graduated putting them as the first couple to tie the knot. Lily stayed quiet for a minute, but after she saw our eyes on her, she nodded, "I'm so nervous I feel as if I'm about to explode. I feel like I'll get there, and it will all go wrong, and I really don't want that to happen."

Mary walked over to Lily and placed a hand on her shoulder comfortingly, "Don't you worry Lily, you and James will have such a good day and if anything goes wrong, me and the girls will sort it out, and that's because I don't trust the boys." Dorcas clapped her hands together as she stood up, dragging Marlene with her, "We'll leave you to get dressed Lils, we'll all wait outside and get there together."

Lily was ready twenty minutes later, her dress having to be fitted one last time and Lily fussing over her shoes or lipstick. "Is everyone ready?" Dorcas asked as Lily stepped out onto the pavement of Godric's Hollow. We all looked around to check everyone was good and ready to go but a shouting from inside and a jingle of keys answered us. "Let me take a picture!" Marlene exclaimed, gathering us all into a tighter group and snapping a polaroid of us all.

We arrived at the venue ten minutes later, me and Aafiya stepped out first, dusting down our bridesmaid dresses and letting everyone else follow us out. Lily was the last one to step out, she had to carry the end of her dress as we all followed each other in the Hall, Lily was of course Muggleborn so all of the family she had invited were Muggles, this meant that the wedding had to be as inconspicuous as it could be, and Sirius should not get drunk.

Our group of bridesmaids walked in the Hall first and made our way down the aisle to stand to the side at the front and taking our place on Lily's side. I had to have made a big decision in preparation for the wedding as when Lily had asked me to be a bridesmaid, James had also asked me to be on his 'side', saying that if I didn't, he would understand but also take it as an act of war and steal Sirius from me.

Meeting James' eye as we were waiting for Lily to make her way down the aisle, I winked at James and gave him a smile, the poor boy was wringing his hands nervously and shuffling from foot to foot. My eyes drifted over to the groomsmen stood behind James and I immediately stifled a laugh, Sirius was whispering to Remus and by the looks of it, he was complaining about the suit, while Remus was rolling his eyes, and Peter's eyes were drifting longingly to the chairs.

The music started and everyone knew what was going to happen next, Lily herself walked down the aisle graciously, as if she had practiced her whole life for this moment. The moment that James and Lily stood in front of each other, and their eyes met, they both laughed nervously, and James began to cry. Not an obvious cry, but his eyes welled with tears and the tip of his nose turned red.

After the wedding ceremony itself, the after party was the thing that Sirius had been talking about in the weeks leading up to the wedding. He had told me continuously that he had a big speech prepared and that he had practiced it to perfection. He also told me that a little bit of Firewhiskey would go a long way, so of course, it was natural for me to be nervous.

At first, we all sat down at groups of tables, whilst we waited for someone to walk up and make a speech. That someone, had to be Sirius. He sauntered over to the podium with ease, and definite confidence, standing in front of the microphone, glaring at it suspiciously and then shrugging, beginning his speech and being surprised when the microphone magnified his voice.

"Hi everyone, I'm Sirius Black, James' best friend and his original partner in crime. Now, I'm not unhappy that the two are married now but... Anyway, I'm here to say that I've known James since he was 11 and I remember that there was one time that James had tried to ask Lily to go out with him in fifth and she had yelled at him until she was red in the face. But James didn't back down from his feelings, to be fair to Lily, back then he was loud, had a huge ego and he usually broke his glasses. Of course, he still does now, but ever since he had started to date Lily, he had changed, even just a little bit, the man actually apologised to some people, and he began to love who he was. And by that I don't mean his ego grew, but I mean that no matter his personality or what he could or couldn't do, he accepted that, and learned to run with it. I have to admit that Lily also scares me so I wouldn't say anything against them. But I genuinely do appreciate everything that she had done for him, my best mate, has finally grown up, and I am so proud of him. Thanks, Lils."

After his speech, I glanced over at James to see the curly haired boy with his head in his hands, looking as if he was crying, Lily had her arm around him, but I could see her eyes filled with tears too. Sirius hopped from the podium, grinning proudly to himself and giving Remus a high five as he sat down, turning to the person next to him and nodding and smiling to whatever they were saying, and with his reaction, I knew it was a compliment.

Once the speeches from the two's parents were over, there was music playing (Pink Floyd), and people dancing on the dance floor or eating food near the buffet area. Currently, I was on the dance floor with James, Lily and Sirius and we were dancing and laughing simultaneously. "I can't believe you brought up the fifth-year story Sirius, Thea why didn't you stop him?"

I gave Lily a look and told her, "I didn't know he was going to, he kept everything a secret. But it's also Sirius, I wouldn't have been able to change his mind anyway."

"But honestly, thank you guys for everything, as maid of honour and James' best man, I can't thank you two enough for everything you've done and so much you've planned. It honestly has been one of the best days of my life." Sirius and I laughed at her as she fanned her eyes as she wouldn't ruin her mascara. 

"Don't cry Lily, it was nothing. We'd do anything for you two to be happy."