Chapter 33|| Quidditch

We found out who we were playing the week before the match started, and that gave us time to prepare our techniques and tactics for the game. It was also a comfort knowing that the person who humiliated Marlene was a Ravenclaw, and that was exactly who were were playing. In fact, whilst changing for the actual game in the Gryffindor room, Fabian had disclosed that their team this year was in fact the best it had been for a few seasons now. 

This just helped me gain a bigger momentum to win, and to see the defeated look on every Ravenclaw's face, nothing against all of them, but it could be any one of them that hurt my friend.

"We're playing against the Ravenclaws, right? Well, I'm doing this for Marlene," I told James as I saw him stood outside the changing rooms, sat on a bench with the twins, Natasha, and the new Seeker (Richard Carter) and other Chaser (Niamh Balocca). Natasha must have been listening to our conversation as she interjected, "Who's Marlene, anyone interesting? What happened with Marlene?" 

She was a very funny and relatable fourth year, but she was also extremely interested in drama and subjects she wasn't involved in. Sometimes Natasha's nosiness could be a good thing, and I could find out anything about anyone from her, but other times it was annoying, and I just wanted to keep a few secrets to myself.

James just laughed at her and waited for a speech from the Captain, it was a tradition. Fabian stood up after everyone was seated and he said, "Right team, there are people I trust," he looked at his original team, "and people I don't know as well," he looked at the two new members. Gideon stood up and said, "How dare you not trust me." 

James dragged him down and motioned for Fabian to carry on. Fabian just giggled at his brother, loving his joking spirit, and then said, "Lose and you're all skinned alive, win and I'll let you have a butterbeer."

"Where are you going to get eight butterbeers from? I thought you could only get them from Hogsmeade, I had no idea they do them in Hogwarts," Richard said impressed. The fifth year boy was tanned and skinny, with a good build for a Seeker, his voice however was extremely different to his appearance and it was quite funny to hear.

Fabian looked at the fifth year and rolled his eyes, "I have my sources Randolph so, no more silly questions and let us wait for the signal from Hooch." Me and James caught each others eyes and burst into silent laughter at the slightly taller twin, he'd even gotten Richard's name wrong. 

A short while later and we had Madam Hooch walk into the room and ask for us to join the Ravenclaws on the pitch staring them all down with a burning passion. I mounted my broom when Hooch called for us to do so, and then I touched the ground and pushed off on the shrill sound of the whistle.

The game was not as intense as it would be for the final match, or a qualifying match, but as the first game of the season, it was enough to make everyone hold their breath as the Quaffle was passed around. It was the sort of game where you knew something was going on and you knew that it was an important game, you just didn't know how much. 

Whoever won this game would get an upper hand in the next game with confidence and in tactic, and so on.

I was glancing at my team, the Natasha was doing her job well as Keeper, hovering in between posts and darting to and from as she followed the ball with her eyes. The new Seeker was obviously nervous, his eyes were darting worriedly and he was zooming around the pitch. Fabian and Gideon were doing their Beater role perfectly, as always, and myself and James were trying to accommodate the new girl Niamh as much as we could.

Admittedly we didn't pass to her as much as we did each other, but we knew each others gameplay and strengths, and we had no idea what the newest member of the team was capable of during the pressure of the game. Myself and James were usually quite collected and calculating on the pitch.