Chapter 4|| The first prank.

It was now nearly the end of the first term, and three weeks before Christmas and, as usual, the boys made a huge fuss, and James and Sirius wanted to do something exceptionally stupid in the last week of term. So, we spent two weeks planning something stupid, useless and really very fun. 

Our first and (knowing the boys) probably not the last prank. Remus was dragged into this, and Peter just wanted to tag along, claiming he wanted to experience the other side of life too. That was before I reminded him we were not becoming Death Eaters, and it was just a harmless prank. 

My job was to help James to charm the certain objects we would use for the prank, Sirius said he and Remus would distract the people in case they wanted to come in here for two different reasons. Firstly, they would probably believe Remus and secondly, Sirius said himself he is a very distracting person.

Peter decided that he would tag along with Sirius and Remus, because he said his strong point is not exactly Charms. Neither is James' to be honest but he's better than the others, James is actually rather good at magic generally, even without trying. 

I favoured Charms as there was much more practical work to be done than theory and the homework seemed to be a lot less work and a lot more fun, which helps with concentration or the amount you want to do the homework. 

The place and prank that we had decided to pull was a simple, yet hopefully an effective one. We was to go in the nearest bathroom to the Slytherin common room and Potions classroom, and charm the toilets and sinks to spray red and gold glitter onto the user. We hoped that it would convey the message of Christmas, and James said it showed Gryffindor pride. The other boys seemed content with this and for the first prank of our school history, it was a very good idea.

In the morning, just before the breakfast and the first lesson, the boys and I stood outside of the bathroom and as James and I snuck in, the other boys stood outside being on the watch and chatting to each other. I could hear Sirius say, "Don't you think Slughorn is positively gorgeous." I heard Remus die on the outside and I sniggered. I could imagine his reaction and it was a very good one.

"Hey slow poke, hurry up!" James called. I sighed and turned around to face him stood in one of the cubicles and screwing up his eyes in concentration. He then continued, "Don't just stand there staring at me, I know I'm beautiful, but please help. This is hard." I rolled my eyes at his narcissism and hurried over to help him.

After ten minutes, myself and James had tackled all of the toilets and half of the sinks, when Peter stuck his head around the bathroom door and said, "Guys, everyone's moving to eat breakfast now. You need to hurry up and stop- wait what even are you doing James?" I looked to James and saw that he was styling his hair messily in the mirror, and I poked him with my wand, bringing him back to reality. 

James eventually mumbled something that I didn't catch, and then focused his efforts on the sink in front of him, concentrating hard on the charm.

It had been completely by chance that we'd found the spell to charm toilets and sinks to spray a preferred colour. As I was rifling through my Charms book in the common room, I had said to the boys, "This spell looks like fun, come and read this one." Now, here we were, performing that exact spell and aiming to turn some Slytherins red and gold in the spirit of Christmas. 

When we were finally finished and in the Great Hall for breakfast, Sirius was telling us all how they had bravely fought off some seventh years so that they wouldn't go in the bathroom and with one look at Remus, I knew what Sirius was saying was absolutely not true. It seemed James didn't believe it either, but we were both courteous enough to humour him.

I had just finished my toast, when a group of angry Slytherins - which included Severus Snape - came in through the doors to the Great Hall, and were covered in bright red and gold glitter. The boys and I were all in peals of laughter, Peter holding onto a poor Mary, who had just walked in and looked concerned. I looked at the Slytherins that was in the group, and knew some of them from the parties I used to have to go to when our family was a big one in the Pureblood Society.