Chapter 6|| Christmas break

The first day of the Christmas break had finally come upon everyone, and the day was spent in the common room or in the freezing grounds, walking through the sludgy snow. It was very cold in that part of Scotland, and I guessed that helped it to freeze a lot easier. In the part of England that I came from, it was always cold but never snowed. 

It was like a winter wonderland at Hogwarts however. The Christmas tree and festive decorations were perfect, and the people staying for Christmas were mostly in good spirit (barring some grumpy Slytherins and 7th years of course). 

James had decided to go home to his parents - he invited us to come too, but we all didn't want to invade and had declined - Remus had also gone home saying he wanted to visit his sick mother, because every month he had gone without fail apparently home to visit. Peter had also decided to go home, saying he missed his dad and he wanted to play Quidditch at home where first years couldn't here, saying he wanted to practice.

Lily had gone home to her family, saying she wanted to make amends with her sister, which I believed to be absolutely unnecessary. Her sister sounded very horrible about the fact that Lily was magical, and anyone who discriminates against magic is immediately put on a special list. 

Aafiya didn't celebrate Christmas, but she was going to take advantage of the break and go home to be with her family, Mary had gone home, as did Alice and Marlene, to visit relatives. Which meant, that left myself and Sirius, both of us not wanting to go home to the families that we supposedly disappointed.  

"Sirius, wake up, it's Christmas day, you ugly troll," I shouted, walking through the doors of the boy's room and looking to see a very tired Sirius with one eye open. He grumbled some incoherent words and then he sprung up suddenly, his eyes wide and grinning. "Hey Thea?" he started, "Can you be a dear and help me throw some snowballs at some unsuspecting victims before lunch?" I laughed, of course I would, who did he take me for?

"I want you to open your presents first, I've already opened mine, go on," I urged. He honestly needed to sort out his priorities. He jumped on the bed, grabbed some presents and tore off the wrapping paper with surprising speed, he threw one after another onto a pile and then pleaded, "Can we go now?" He was such a child.

I placed all of his presents neatly in the places they should have gone - sweaters in the wardrobe, chocolate on the table, books and socks in their respective drawers - all the while Sirius stared at me like an overexcited dog going for a walk. I had finally finished folding his shirts and said, "Come on then." He grabbed a neatly folded sweater, pulled it on and then dragged my hand down the common room, past a group of 3rd years eating Pumpkin Pasties, and into the Hogwarts grounds.

"We haven't even eaten breakfast yet Sirius," I shouted as he pulled me along. He turned back to glance at me and yelled back, "Who needs breakfast when they have snowballs to make. Besides, we'll eat too much later at lunch." I couldn't argue with him, even if I wanted to, Sirius Black was more stubborn than my great aunt Karen.

Twenty minutes later, snowballs were made, snowballs were thrown, and some snowballs were shoved down unaware victims from mainly 5th year Slytherin. Sirius said he had a personal vendetta against them and as Bellatrix was in that year, I couldn't disagree. She did rat us out about the whole Gryffindor thing, and I couldn't wait to throw something at her. The things she said about Muggleborns scared me.

On that subject, Evelyn Green had stayed at Hogwarts for Christmas, so seeing her sometimes in the Great Hall was really awkward for the both of us. Since that Potions lesson, we hadn't really talked, and the only thing I'd said to her was, "Had a nice day?" then I'd walked off. I don't know if she blamed me, was insecure I'd found new friends, or just didn't have time to talk to me.