Chapter 19|| Ugh boys.

It was the first training session of the season, and all of us were getting ready for the game that landed on the 22nd of December, only a few days before Christmas, and, as it was getting in the middle of November, we had less or about a month to practice. It was a very nerve - wracking experience, especially as the older players were also nervous.

The Captain, Jacques, was beating himself up about it, blaming himself for being late to trials again, as the exact same thing had happened last year.

Jacques was a sixth year, he was tall - around five foot eleven - his hair was dyed blond, and he had a few freckles on the bridge of his nose. He was quite smart (top in some of his classes) and an overall model student, except when it came to the pitch. He was a ruthless trainer and, using his influence as Captain, he was rumoured to have people training for hours in rain and stormy weather. 

He would have been quite nice had it not been for his strong opinions.

The rest of the old team compromised of Fabian and Gideon as beaters, Sheila Johnson, a dark skinned sixth year with a complexion I'm jealous of, and usually always wearing a red band around her wrist. The newly appointed Keeper was fourth year Natasha Rogers, with a Scottish accent and dark eyes like pools, her smile was warming and friendly. Then there was me and James, feeling oddly out of place among the older students.

While Jacques got the old members of the team set up, myself, James and Natasha were all stood in front of the Seeker with expectant looks on our faces. The blond boy said, "Right everyone, today will just be a warm up day with different exercises being used to see your strengths and how well you fit with the team. Also, to see what you lot need work on because everyone needs something to focus on, any questions?"

Natasha raised her hand and Jacques pointed at her, she asked, "Firstly, when does practice end? I'm supposed to be going to the kitchens with my friends, secondly, what's your first name?" The blond Captain rolled his green eyes and replied to the Keeper, "Firstly, whenever I want it to end and I'm satisfied, secondly, it's Pierce but don't call me that, got it?" 

Myself and James looked at each other and nodded, but Natasha said, "Got it Pierce."

The practice started with only the Quaffle being let out, the whole team passing between each other to practice their skills and making sure nobody dropped it, the only downside was, they were passing it twenty feet in the air and when you dropped the ball, you had to dive down fast to get it. The only person who dropped the ball was Fabian as he was momentarily trying to attack his twin brother.

When this happened, I looked at Jacques to get his reaction but he just shook his head and yelled at him to get the ball, it seemed that the twins being distracted was a normal occurrence and one I'd hopefully be seeing more of. Then, practice got harder as the Seeker sat and monitored us all as he also let out the Bludgers, giving Fabian and Gideon something to do. The Chasers and Keeper were already kept busy.

Surprisingly, us two second years got along well with the older Chaser, she was nice and helpful enough to give us tips and feedback but also, she was the type that if you messed up badly, she would reprimand you for it. The Captain came towards us after we'd finally scored a five goals against the really good Keeper and he said, "If you lot keep this up, we might have a good chance."

Natasha sighed and muttered, not too quietly, "Shut it Pierce, we always have a good chance, the team won last year, or have you forgotten?" Sheila Johnson laughed lightly and when the blond looked at her, she just shrugged at him and said, "The Scottish girl is right." 

I heard a faint 'I'm Natasha', but I couldn't be sure as Fabian and Gideon were making a racket, and both were laughing at Jacques, and trying to put the Bludgers away too.