Chapter 5|| Detention and confessions

Walking out of the Great Hall after eating dinner and to McGonagall's office at six was not the nicest experience because after feeling full and very tired, James and Sirius had suddenly gained a lot of energy. Even Peter couldn't keep up with them and he was usually very energetic. It was the last week before Christmas break and I'm sure we could all use a break from detention or classes but obviously some people just can't handle that.

I knocked on the door of the office and McGonagall let us in, telling us that we shouldn't pass silly notes and get in trouble for nothing and then she gave us each a small section of the filing cupboard to focus on and said it would take at least an hour and then we would be free.

But her version of being free meant being able to go back to the common room and do our homework that she had given out. However, I knew that none of the Gryffindors in the Tower would be using it for that, and instead the only thing going on would be go stones and exploding snap.

For the detention, I was sectioned with the second year section sheets, and when McGonagall left the office to let us do the job without disruptions, I began copying a ripped file onto a new sheet and it read:

Name: Fabian and Gideon Prewett 

Rule broken: Blowing up the the amentortia potion with fireworks

Reason: They said you should be able to imagine whoever you love and not be assigned a smell.

Punishment: Three detentions.

I laughed at their reasoning and showed it to James who was sat next to me and said, "You know when it comes to it. If I don't get who I want, I'll blow mine up to." I smiled and shook my head and said, "Whoever do you want Mr Potter?" James looked around the room, thought for a moment and then said, "Either, Minnie or Sirius." I laughed loudly and the other two boys in the room looked at us confused.

After and hour and five minutes, we'd all finished our sections and placed all of the files back, and was just about to walk out of the office, when McGonagall came back asking if we were finished. We promised her that we didn't talk to anyone and focused completely, but I could tell she didn't believe us. To be honest, I knew we was lying but I wouldn't trust us either.

Getting back to the common room, the boys left for their dorm and I walked up the right side of the stairs and opened the door to find the girls all sat on their beds and conversing rather loudly. "Oh, Athena just the person. Lily says that there is no one attractive in this year and Aafiya says she doesn't believe in soulmates," Marlene complained.

The blonde girl was sat on her bed, holding up a silver, flower patterned compact mirror, and trying on a new lipstick her mother had bought her for her birthday. In my opinion, it was too red for an eleven year old. But that was just me.

I thought about what she had said, and told the group, "You can have whatever views you'd like but personally, I loved a guy I'd never met at a park when I was seven. But obviously that wasn't real love. I can't speak for everyone or their attractions or whatever but I believe in soulmates. You'll know when you meet them or when you love each other. Oh, and Chris Partridge from Hufflepuff is quite something."

Mary nodded, Alice shook her head, Marlene though about my words, and Lily and Aafiya probably ignored what I'd just said to be able to make up their own views. Mary spoke, "You have such a way with words. Is that like a stuck up pureblood thing you have to learn. Even Sirius Black has a way with words and he's an idiot." 

I changed into my pyjamas, got into my bed and pondered her words. I said, "No, he's not an idiot, he's just weird. And no, it's not a class you have to go to Mary, whoever you are, I guess it's just what words your parents used and what you're brought up with." Alice flopped back onto her bed and said, "Even your explanations are poetic." Lily laughed and then suddenly stopped.