Chapter 39|| A Valentine's surprise

Fast forward two months and it was February 14th 1974, I had told Remus all about the events that happened at my house and he seemed to find the fact that Regulus Black wanted to talk to me a very interesting find. I didn't get why, only for the fact that it was strange how he would want to talk to one of his brothers friends which he seemingly hates, actually - maybe that was why.

"Happy Valentine's day Athena, Alice," Lily said as she walked to breakfast with me and Alice. "Thank you Lily, did either of you two get or expect anything?" I asked them. Alice blushed which was a yes, it was obvious who it would be or was from, but Lily shook her head and crossed her arms.

To which she then professed dramatically, "Nobody loves me, the world is against me." I looked to her right and knew she'd spoken too soon, if there was one person in the world to pop up right now, it would be him. "What was that Lily? I object to that statement," James exclaimed passing her a Valentine's card.

She found it a lot safer to ignore the curly haired boy and his starry friend, and drag myself and Alice to the Great Hall where it would be Potter free. We sat down next to Mary and Aafiya - Marlene was elsewhere - while Lily momentarily hurried to talk to Dorcas. What I didn't expect next was Leon, Frank, Fabian and Gideon to sit next to us and start a conversation. 

And when Lily came back, Leon was in the middle of a joke about croissants.

I sat down at the table and looked up at the ceiling to see the weather of today, the sky was a nice sort of blue for February, with a fair amount of clouds, it was clear with sun, but yet still cold. Like an average day in the Scottish highlands surrounded by mountains and lakes for the most part. 

I was then resigned to staring around at the Great Hall, waiting for the morning owl post, but my sight was interrupted by a familiar blonde girl stepping in front of me.

"This was here for you on the floor, must have been levitated up for you Athena," Marlene said looking down at me. I grabbed the thing she was holding and saw a Valentine's card, I could tell it was for the occasion because it said so on the front. Alice leaned over the table and said to me, "What does it say? That's so cute, I wish someone got me one." 

I looked at her and said, "Calm down Al, I haven't opened it yet." I then opened the envelope - in front of her for I knew she would read it anyway - and read the contents.

It was very confusing, but at the same time rather sweet with something along the lines of: Athena, there's something I need to tell you but I'm too scared to actually admit it, so here it is in an anonymous card form. I'm glad you make me smile when I am around you, and I love watching you do the things you love. Happy Valentines. 

I checked the back of the letter to make sure there wasn't anything else and then I looked back up at the girls who had expectant faces. "Who's it from?" Aafiya asked. 

I smiled and chuckled slightly, "Dumbledore - I'm joking, it doesn't say." The girls around the table let out a breath, and as Marlene chuckled, I was glad that someone appreciated the joke. Mary hit me on the shoulder frowning, "You had me for a second there, I was terrified. But do you recognise the handwriting? Any clues on who it could be?" 

I recited the second line of the card and this elicited some reaction from the girls.

Lily was the one I was expecting a logical answer from and she said, "So, it's either one of the Marauders or one of the fourth year boys we talk to, or maybe a Slytherin which is why it's unnamed, I mean, they are around you so it must be someone you talk to." 

Marlene said sarcastically, "Thank you Sherlock. I reckon it's Gideon, Leon or Peter, they all seem to have a thing for you in my opinion."

"Thank you Watson," Lily mumbled sassily. I grinned at the girl's antics, and then I spotted the Marauders all glancing in my direction and whispering, they all seemed very suspicious. I was sure it would just be another prank they were about to pull, but my insides sensed something else, and if Slughorn had taught me anything in these three years, it's that you shouldn't mix Flobberworm mucus and fangs from a Serpent above 250 degrees and, to trust your gut.